Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Does anyone have a picture of what a white or light standard sized Turken that is missing the NN gene will grow up to look like? Had one today from a bonus hatching egg. She (if a she) is going to be a pet or a layer- we are not culling for genetics, as this is just a little backyard production flock/no roosters. :)

I had a few NN hatching eggs that gave me non NN chicks. Here is how my roo is growing...he is about 18 weeks old.

and my frizzle non NN pullet....also 18 weeks

The blue one on the right....
they are green egg layers.....from DDD eggs! Also got some beautiful NNs from the same hatch!

Okay so ive discovered the problem their crop got full so i had to take their food away for the night and only give them water so the could get rid of all that food so they will be fine. Thanks to eveyone who helped me out in this situation.

No need to with hold feed.. actually that may backfire a little bit if they are hungry enough to 'pig out' when feed is available again, some are prone to eating too much and 'choke' while it takes time for the lump of food to go down.

also not advisable with chicks that might be a little weak..

I think the naked neck just makes some things visible that normally are not visible on other chicks. Air in crop probably is pretty common except on a full fuzzy most would never be noticed.

the only time it's a concern is if the crop stretches to full size and it's almost all air or the air sac extends beyond the crop area.

It seems to me that if there is a 'y' in the day or the wind speed is greater than 1mph, that a hen will stop laying. To be serious, though, all of my hens go through phases of not laying for no apparent reason (winter 'shut down' due to short daylight hours and old age being valid reasons).
One hen of mine (not a NN) didn't lay for 18 months due, I think, to her being too fat. A change in her status from alpha hen (and therefore not eating enough for 3) has slimmed her down and she has being laying 5 days out of 7 for the last few months.
The causes of stopping laying are many.....too fat, too thin, worms, broody, weather,ovarian dysfunction, shock, change of environment etc etc and often absolutely NO apparent cause. This is no more common (and no rarer) in NNs than any other type of hen.
Exclude all treatable causes and be patient is my strategy.
Good Luck.

second this. It does sometimes seem the NN lay out of sync with other breeds, NNs laying when the others are not and vice versa.

One other thing is it depends on what's in the NN ancestry. If it's a backyard mix, production can vary quite a bit.. generally hatchery stock with dual purpose types are pretty good layers.

This year my NN including the bantam silver laceds are far, far out laying the silver sussex and shamo the only non NN breeds here. the sussex take frequent breaks and their eggs are so much smaller.. about same size as the ones from the NN bantams.

No need to with hold feed.. actually that may backfire a little bit if they are hungry enough to 'pig out' when feed is available again, some are prone to eating too much and 'choke' while it takes time for the lump of food to go down.

also not advisable with chicks that might be a little weak.. 

I think the naked neck just makes some things visible that normally are not visible on other chicks.  Air in crop probably is pretty common except on a full fuzzy most would never be noticed.

the only time it's a concern is if the crop stretches to full size and it's almost all air  or the air sac extends beyond the crop area.
ya thats exactly what i was thinking. That the crop issue probably happens to all chicks but only visible on NNs thx

I had a few NN hatching eggs that gave me non NN chicks. Here is how my roo is growing...he is about 18 weeks old.

and my frizzle non NN pullet....also 18 weeks

The blue one on the right....
they are green egg layers.....from DDD eggs! Also got some beautiful NNs from the same hatch!

Oh cool - good looking birds! Thank you! I love the coloring on all of them!

So basically they just look nice and normal... haha!

Here is my non-NN. His mother was a Naked Neck, his dad was a Blue-Red Easter Egger.

Here aer some of his babies out of a Paint Crested Easter Egger hen.

Here are some of his babies out of Production Red hens.

Here is my non-NN. His mother was a Naked Neck, his dad was a Blue-Red Easter Egger.

Here aer some of his babies out of a Paint Crested Easter Egger hen.

Here are some of his babies out of Production Red hens.

Now he is penned with three NN hens, we'll see how these turn out.

Last edited:
I've posted these guys a few times and just when I think I'm sure on gender, I get iffy again. They're 11-12 weeks old now. At this point, I'm just waiting for crows and not in a hurry because I'll be keeping them either way, but thought I'd see if the general consensus still remains. Nothing about their behavior strikes me as roo-ish yet, in fact, they're both on the bottom of the pecking order and act like pathetic little babies around all the girls.

This is Herman.
(See the resemblance? LOL
)

99.9% sure he's a he although we have no crows yet. He's my sweet little periscope. Bahaha.

Here's my questionable one.
This is Winston. Compared to a lot of gals, he obviously looks roo-ish, but his comb has never gotten as red or "in your face" as Herman's (I guess that could be attributed to his being white..pardon his dirtiness) and his wattles are MUCH smaller. He's either a girly man or a manly girl lol.

Back
Top Bottom