Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Working on a new idea for sleeves for the nakeds. This time made out of children's socks. When I make the clothes from the onsie the sleeve is usually enough coverage for the wings in mid season weather, but colder winter temps they need better coverage on their wings. I have been making big squares, but this doesn't offer good rom (range of motion) so this is my 2.0 version.

This is the orientation they will need to be placed in. The heels will be in the first elbow joint. The top of the socks will be along the back.

Fold back on themselves to have sewing points.

They both have been sewn if you look closely at the one on the lt you can see the stitches. They are just on that edge and through all thicknesses and just over half the total distance. This is just w/ needle and thread no need to drag out a big machine.

Here are both sides in the position they will be worn. You can see I stitched the top here, and just on this side.

Here is the underside you can see the sock top is only sewn on the one side these openings are important that is where the wings go, You an also see the sewn "tucks" or darts. No need to cut away extra material it won't be in the way and will provide extra layers.

Now the extra ribbing needs to be carefully cut on the unsewn underside of the wings and from the butt end (heel)

These will be stitched together to slip over the birds neck to help secure the sleeves in place and so they don't slide off.

I won't be able to show pics of them in place right now, as soon as I can try them on (a warm enough day to exchange clothes) I'll take some pics of them in place. I know the neck / chest strap design works that is how I kept Rudy's sleeves on all last year. It is just whether this design will work w/o getting wet or stretched.

Is it safe? Could it possibly catch on something and choke the chicken or rip? It is a very interesting idea though...and pretty inexpensive and easy to make at home.

Rudy wore a sleeve set last winter w/o problems. The sleeves are put under the onsie so the chest strap isn't the outer most layer.

Oh, that is quite clever. You should retail them as NN Christmas/Hannukah sweaters with different patterns...I can see it now...
1f609.png

I also like different and unusual...naked neck, beards, feathered legs, crests, rumpless...give me them all!

ETA: I don't really like the extra toe on some of the exotics, but it would be in poor taste to go over to the silkie thread and post that there.
tongue.png

I plan to breed NN with rumpless, NN with feathered legs. I need more time to try to breed rumpless NN with feathered legs NN
hit.gif
I wish I could do something about that!

when I got my first bird with 5 toes I was kind of shocked. I love my silkie/araucana cross and I think her toes look great. she is tiny but doesn't look helpless with all of those toes.

I would actually love to get some turkens soon. They are great dual purpose birds, have very nice personalities, and the chicks are cute. I realize now that it was not desirable for my first post on this thread to be something negative regarding the breed, but please consider other factors before bashing me for my post. I love turkens as birds. But not for their looks. If you get upset at another opinion....that isn't very thoughtful either. Still, I'm so sorry if I came off rudely. I wish I had added more to my post. I've learned my lesson...
1f642.png

if you post us pics of your NNs you will be forgiven!

try some Nn (with a bow), you might even love their looks. as they are growing they look like ladies in fur!

That sounds good...maybe I'll try raising a batch....what is their usual dressed weight?

That depends on how old they are when you butcher them, but most of mine have dressed out at 4 to 5.5 pounds around 18-20 weeks. I have one rooster in my flock right now who weighs over 8.5 pounds, though I'm not currently sure how much more, and is just shy of a year old. I plan to breed him a few times before butchering and am really curious about how big he'll process out.

Back
Top Bottom