Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Every time I see those aloha chicks, I need....

I probably won't be ready for another hatch until the dead of summer :/ Probably best to wait til fall, I suppose. From my NYD hatch (other breeds), I'm adding 6 ladies to my existing flock of 8 (3 boys are being rehomed this weekend and the other 4 will be dinner). I have 15 turken in the brooder now, waiting to see how many boys vs girls I have from this hatch. I'm keeping ALL the girls and up to 2 of the boys.

I do have to admit that I'm seriously considering focusing on turken as my primary group of chickens, with brabanter and coronation sussex as likely possibilities for ancillary breeds. I still want to do a turken/brabanter cross and work on that. I haven't figured out yet how I want to incorporate the sussex (not into the brabanter cross
lol.png
). I'll probably just need to commit to a completely separate breeding pen for them.

I have two little Nn's. :) Went ahead and assisted the one (Zen) that had been pipped for a while..the membrane started drying out pretty quick after close to 23 hrs. and baby wasn't peeping as much. Glad I did. It's a happy baby now. :) It was laying all along the side of the egg..belly up..everything, from head to toes! Those little feet were just sticking straight up. Glad the legs look good. No taping needed.

One from Zen and one from Coco Puffs.

I thought the Zen baby was black, it's looking blue now, and it looks like it's going to have puffy cheeks. What?
ya.gif
Maybe because they are drying out sooner. Will see.

Coco Puffs baby looks white, with a black on it's head, and in the middle of the back. Looks like a boy already soaking wet. That chick hatched fast once it pipped! I have two others that are pipped in the same area as Zens. :/ Will be watching them.

Zen's looks like a girl. :D

Last edited:
with so many boys you're just about ready to open a fried chicken stand
sad.png
What an interesting range of colours and styles, which cockerel are you thinking of keeping? Sorry to hear about your chick cull
hugs.gif
You're not kidding!!! Out of 25, only 6 girls... I'm only keeping one boy. Top contender for a keeper is this fella - looks like he carries the Dun gene:

I have two little Nn's. :) Went ahead and assisted the one (Zen) that had been pipped for a while..the membrane started drying out pretty quick after close to 23 hrs. and baby wasn't peeping as much. Glad I did. It's a happy baby now. :) It was laying all along the side of the egg..belly up..everything, from head to toes! Those little feet were just sticking straight up. Glad the legs look good. No taping needed.

One from Zen and one from Coco Puffs.

I thought the Zen baby was black, it's looking blue now, and it looks like it's going to have puffy cheeks. What?
ya.gif
Maybe because they are drying out sooner. Will see.

Coco Puffs baby looks white, with a black on it's head, and in the middle of the back. Looks like a boy already soaking wet. That chick hatched fast once it pipped! I have two others that are pipped in the same area as Zens. :/ Will be watching them.

Zen's looks like a girl. :D
jumpy.gif

Good luck - looking forward to photos. You always have such interesting chicks!

love.gif
The first one seems to me like he wants to launch into a series of show tunes.
lol.png

LOL!!! You are so right!!
clap.gif

DesertChic you are making me so jealous. I came so close to buying some $0.50 RIR's at TSC today, but we're leaving town for a week and I just can't leave yet another task for the neighbor that's taking care of things while we're gone. :( Just need to hold out a bit longer so I can get those NN hatching eggs when we get back.

You're not kidding!!! Out of 25, only 6 girls... I'm only keeping one boy. Top contender for a keeper is this fella - looks like he carries the Dun gene:

jumpy.gif

Yes, that's a nice looking one, I like him and the first one. Looks like, as usual, the boys look prettier than the girls
hmm.png
But looks like a good start to your aloha project.

Ivy egg hatched! Black with yellow on head, and some yellow on side of body. Still wet. Can't tell where all of the yellow is yet.

Time for baby pictures! I'll only post a few of my favorite little mysteries so I don't overwhelm anyone. Chick #1: Everything about this chick screams "cockerel" to me. Chick 6: Really unusual combo of colors. I've got brown, grey, yellow...making the chick look a little green, actually. It's got a cream colored dot on the top of its head, so I'm suspecting cockerel. Chickk #7: My platinum chick. If it's a girl I'll call her Marilyn. If it's a boy I'll call him Monroe. ;) Chick #8: All black, except for the toes: Chick #10: Mostly black with white war paint. I'm pretty sure this one's a cockerel. Chick #13: Feathered shanks, EE puffy cheeks....This fuzzy little one stole my heart: And finally, Chick #16 - my party-all-night chick that simply couldn't stay awake for the photo shoot. This one also has EE puffy cheeks. :)
Beautiful batch! Can't wait to see the colours

S&G broiler strain NN weights again today. The original largest "boy" is definitely a girl, and she's so friendly she;s bucking for a "puppy #2" type name. She's a lovely buff color (and is over 2.5 lbs at 6 weeks.) The largest boy is over 3 pounds at 6 weeks. Also some sad (though not unexpected) news - the tiny tiny boy was the last one I caught to weigh, and I discovered that he had huge healing deep gashes and flesh missing on either side of his vent. It was late, so I did first aid and blukote, but when I took him back to the brooder, it was clear very quickly that they were going to keep going after him, and it was very likely that I would go in in the morning to find him eviscerated. Although I realized I would have to cull him (he was always "not right" and that may have triggered the others' behavior), I had not done it yet, but I realized that I had to right then - he deserved a better end than what he would get in the brooder. It was necessary and the right thing to do, but still sad (always a little sad). He's the lowest line at the very bottom of the graph and #63 on the table. The other small ones are females and growing and look healthy if small - I'll keep watching them.

- Ant Farm

Edit to clarify - the other two "small" ones are only small relative to the others in this group. You'll note that they, as females, are still at or just under Tank's weight at the same age.

3 lbs at 6 weeks???? Holy cow!
ep.gif

I'm sorry you had to cull that little boy. I'd rather butcher a dozen grown birds than a single chick.

Back
Top Bottom