Naked Neck/Turken Thread

So pretty!!! You know this one started out like your third one with the orange head, then just exploded with the other colors later on. Maybe you'll be lucky with her!View attachment 1782573
I am lucky she is the sweetest girl! Her name is butterscotch, I nearly name them this young but that one tried to die on me and after 2 days in the hospital crate in the house walked right out and decided that she was ready to go outside.... now when I go in the pen she walks right up to me and hangs out at my feet..... silly girl.

I have found that sexing chicks by tails and wings to only be 75-80% accurate with these birds. Even with the pure bred Bresse when I had them. But combine it with other attributes like leg thickness and personality and you can get closer. Some cockerels will get faster growing feathers like their pullet sisters. Usually the pullets will get shoulder feathers first. The boys will retain fuzzy shoulders longer even though their wing feathers are really long. The pic you posted of your newest clean neck boy shows the fuzzy shoulders. But only two times ever have i had chicks i thought were gonna be boys and they turned into pullets... And they have been small ones with strong wild partridge pattern and a nice round breast, as if they had throwback game fowl genetics at play.
At 4 weeks old some of these Dunlap chicks are already getting redder and bigger combs. Interestingly, the only ones left that have the fuzzy shoulders still are the smallest ones.

I had a naked neck called jumbo. she had huge thick legs, huge comb and wattles and she got some red on her shoulders when started to feather. she was somewhat aggressive. I thought she was a boy till she laid an egg, lol.

20190523_184539_Signature.jpg
20190523_184534-1_Signature.jpg
20190523_184139_Burst01_Signature.jpg
20190523_184050_Signature-1_Signature.jpg
20190523_183943_Signature.jpg
20190523_183929_Signature-1_Signature.jpg
20190523_183711_Signature-1-1_Signature.jpg

@cactusrota I'm pretty sure the chicks in pics 2, 3 and 4 are roos. I think 1 and 5 are pullets. Thoughts on the last 2? Maybe too far away...

View attachment 1787339 View attachment 1787340 View attachment 1787341 View attachment 1787343 View attachment 1787344 View attachment 1787345 View attachment 1787346

@cactusrota I'm pretty sure the chicks in pics 2, 3 and 4 are roos. I think 1 and 5 are pullets. Thoughts on the last 2? Maybe too far away...
Wow that first one looks so much like my blue wheaten that came from DesertChic's flock! She's been a real good bird. She was one of the two "sister wives" that cooperatively hatched out chicks last month. The other one, the Aloha, has since backed out and she's been taken over full care of the chicks.
20190523_191756.jpg

I would say 1, 4, 5, & 7 look like pullets. But I've been tricked at this age, too. 4 looks amazing!!! 3 looks like he has some silver pencilling! They all look so beautiful!!! So glad you got such an awesome bunch! :love:pop

I was thinking the same on the last 2 so thank you both for your input!

You think the slow feathering black one is a pullet? It reminds me so much of Fugly at that age. I guess we'll see, either way I hope to be able to keep for breeding.

@Phill98 no rose comb and a camera hog lol. Probably a pullet then lol.

Back
Top Bottom