Name my birthday gift

I like Sweet Pea and Autumn!

my cats names are Lettie (sometimes called "Lechuga" which is spanish for lettuce! lol!), Elmo (He says his name), and Tinder (he was named that because when he was a kitten his hair was like dandelion fluff and he looked incredibly flammable... lol

I like Sweet Pea! You can call her Sweety!
lol.png
That would be SO cute!

Ok I lost out in this family to Halo Kitty.

We are a gamer family so Halo is a video game LOL

But, it's cute to say halo kitty ( like the stuffed cat hello kitty)

I think she's actually a tortoiseshell, calicos have more white. Bet she'll grow up to be loaded with 'tortitude'! How about Sweepy? It's Sweet Pea said fast
big_smile.png

She is adorable!

Quote:
Actually she is a patched tabby, calicos have no tabby stripes at all and neither do tortoise shells
smile.png
All of those colors come in dilute as well which is cream/blue/white or just cream/blue instead of the red and brown. Calico's have white, torti's and patches can be with or without white.

I like the name Autumn, kind of appropriate
roll.png
Halo is cute too!

No, torbi is just a nickname for torti/tortoise shell
wink.png
if there are tabby stripes, its a patched tabby
smile.png
But it's easier just to call them what you want to call them without being all technical. My mom and I used to breed, raise and show Maine Coons so sometimes the technicality comes out
lol.png

I think we are calling the same thing different names
smile.png
Tortie is short for Tortoiseshell, Torbie is short for Tortoiseshell Tabby.

What I found online:
The difference between a calico and a tortoiseshell is this:

With a calico, there is a significant amount of white, and the two colors are broken up into distinct patches. This has to do with the interaction of white spotting.

With a tortoiseshell, the three colors are blended and don't form distinct patches. A tortoiseshell may have significant portions of white as well, but the remaining colors are blended (this particular pattern is called a tortoiseshell and white).

A torbie, or patched tabby, is a tortoiseshell where the tabby pattern is very distinct all over the cat. A calico or tortoiseshell may have distinct tabby pattern on the red or cream patches (has to do with another gene we won't get into at this juncture), but no patterning on the other color. This isn't a torbie. A torbie is clearly patterned all over the cat -- though never on the white.

Either way, they are awesome cats with an attitude (Tortitude).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom