Henhaven2090

Chirping
Sep 5, 2019
i have a chicken that has something major going on with her vent. I didn’t notice it until yesterday when I noticed some diarrhea on her feathers. I’ve inspected the whole flock within the last 2-3 weeks because we just dealt with mites. Posting a picture for better ideas. I looked up vent gleet but this looks worse. Is this curable or should I cull?
(Feathers are wet because she soaked in a bath)

Attachments

• BCD27D13-71B9-4BB6-858F-DC23368BDB78.jpeg
    BCD27D13-71B9-4BB6-858F-DC23368BDB78.jpeg
    636.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
It does look like necrosis. I wouldn't cull unless she's in a visible amount of pain. I would soak her in some Epsom salt water to loosen the skin then apply the strongest antibiotic ointment you can find. I would put apple cider vinegar in her water along with other supplements that you can get from tractor supply or similar places. If things don't start to look better then I would cull.

It does look like necrosis. I wouldn't cull unless she's in a visible amount of pain. I would soak her in some Epsom salt water to loosen the skin then apply the strongest antibiotic ointment you can find. I would put apple cider vinegar in her water along with other supplements that you can get from tractor supply or similar places. If things don't start to look better then I would cull.

I did soak her for a while today but will get epsom salts tomorrow as I ran out. I did acv in water today and started with an anti fungal cream. You think antibiotic would be better?

I would use some plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment on it. It does need to be soaked and cleaned up, try to debride it with clean washcloth or some gauze. I can't really tell if she may have had a prolapse or not, or just may have been pecked around the vent.

An antifungal cream will only treat a fungus. Which, without a diagnosis, you don't know if that's the problem. An antibiotic will help prevent infection, which is a good idea in the presence of necrotic tissue. You need to protect her from flystrike, and if I remember clearly, a good coating of an antibiotic ointment will help keep flies from laying eggs in the damaged tissue. Does this look some tissue has prolapsed from the vent? It's very hard for me to make out what I'm seeing on my phone.

I would use some plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment on it. It does need to be soaked and cleaned up, try to debride it with clean washcloth or some gauze. I can't really tell if she may have had a prolapse or not, or just may have been pecked around the vent.

Okay I will do that. Thank you! I don’t think there was a prolapse. There was nothing visible outside the vent.

An antifungal cream will only treat a fungus. Which, without a diagnosis, you don't know if that's the problem. An antibiotic will help prevent infection, which is a good idea in the presence of necrotic tissue. You need to protect her from flystrike, and if I remember clearly, a good coating of an antibiotic ointment will help keep flies from laying eggs in the damaged tissue. Does this look some tissue has prolapsed from the vent? It's very hard for me to make out what I'm seeing on my phone.

She is separated in my barn, I will do that. I don’t see any prolapse which is why I wasn’t sure how this happened in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom