need advice on moving new chick

jim s

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Thank you all for all the info I have gained from BYC. I am incubating 9 eggs, two have hatched (one this morning a day ahead of time), exciting, truly a miracle, and three more have cracked through the shell. So my question is, when do I move the chicks to a brooder after they have hatched? And how long can they go without food (one will be 24 hrs by morning)? Should I wait for others to hatch or do I move them one by one as they dry and how long until they are dry? I really appreciate any help. I realized tonite that I did not know what to do after they hatched. Something of a panic. Thanks. I can see why people incubate! I am planning on trying again in a couple weeks.

Wait till they all hatch!! and soon as they have all dryed off you can move em to the brooder. The chicks can live on the yolk in the belly for a few days but I would dip each beek into the water as I moved them to the brooder and put the food in there in case they want it.
smile.png

Congrats on the hatch!!!

The chick thats 24 hours will be fine in there
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply. This is more nerve racking than I expected.

Thank you for the encouragement. I woke at 12:30 am to the sound of chirping. Beautiful sound. Six of nine have hatched and they look great.

Back
Top Bottom