Need advice re newborn duckling!

HeatherP2

Hatching
Sep 20, 2020
Hello,

My wonderful Muscovy just hatched 3 ducklings, last night/this morning. Two of them are fully dry and fluffy and following mamma around and she is sitting on them. The third had just hatched when I noticed it and mamma appears to be ignoring it. I tried placing it under her with the other two but she gets up and leaves it, even stepping on it while walking around. Note, she had pushed this egg out of the nest just before it hatched, not sure if that matters. The duckling felt pretty cold so I brought it inside and put it in a box with a towel and a hand warmer (wrapped in another towel) as we don't have a heat lamp handy. The baby is peeping, is drying out now and does stand up a bit. However, it seems to move rather erratically and I am just not sure if it has issues or if this is normal when they are this new. I will attach a video below. I sure appreciate any guidance/suggestions anyone can provide.

Hello,

My wonderful Muscovy just hatched 3 ducklings, last night/this morning. Two of them are fully dry and fluffy and following mamma around and she is sitting on them. The third had just hatched when I noticed it and mamma appears to be ignoring it. I tried placing it under her with the other two but she gets up and leaves it, even stepping on it while walking around. Note, she had pushed this egg out of the nest just before it hatched, not sure if that matters. The duckling felt pretty cold so I brought it inside and put it in a box with a towel and a hand warmer (wrapped in another towel) as we don't have a heat lamp handy. The baby is peeping, is drying out now and does stand up a bit. However, it seems to move rather erratically and I am just not sure if it has issues or if this is normal when they are this new. I will attach a video below. I sure appreciate any guidance/suggestions anyone can provide.
He is not looking the best.

Welcome to BYC.

Judging from the video, it appears she has some neurological issues going on, specifically (stargazing/wryneck). I would suggest you start her on some vitamin E, and B vitamins as soon as you can, as well as start offering mashed scrambled eggs for selenium. For vitamin E, you can pick up some human 400iu soft gel capsules, and poke a hole and try to drip one of the drops along with her bill. For vitamin B, you can get some Cattle B complex, and give her a drop or two alongside her bill being careful not to aspirate her.

The duckling needs to be warm, so I would highly suggest getting either a heat lamp or heating pad. She also needs, duckling feed, not the grains you are feeding her.

Here is what you'll want,
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex
https://www.puritan.com/puritans-pr...VRNbACh0oagmdEAQYAiABEgLNn_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Welcome to BYC.

Judging from the video, it appears she has some neurological issues going on, specifically (stargazing/wryneck). I would suggest you start her on some vitamin E, and B vitamins as soon as you can, as well as start offering mashed scrambled eggs for selenium. For vitamin E, you can pick up some human 400iu soft gel capsules, and poke a hole and try to drip one of the drops along with her bill. For vitamin B, you can get some Cattle B complex, and give her a drop or two alongside her bill being careful not to aspirate her.

The duckling needs to be warm, so I would highly suggest getting either a heat lamp or heating pad. She also needs, duckling feed, not the grains you are feeding her.

Here is what you'll want,
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex
https://www.puritan.com/puritans-pr...VRNbACh0oagmdEAQYAiABEgLNn_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thank you so much for the response! I will go and get him/her some duckling food and the vitamins first thing in the morning. I am in Germany (formerly of Ca) so unfortunately nothing is open today. I have a regular desk lamp I can point at her for the night to hopefully get her by. I will try the scrambled eggs, too, thank you. I sure appreciated such a quick response!

I would get some extra heat on it and see how it goes. It probably won't be interested in food or water for at least 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom