Need help and have questions about call duck hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Quacksalot12, May 21, 2019.

1. Quacksalot12

Quacksalot12 Chirping

Feb 19, 2016
    Hi there! This is my second attempt at hatching call duck eggs. I have several questions about call duck hatching since they seem to have a much more complicated hatch than other ducks.

I had 3 fertile call duck eggs in the incubator(and also have 2 fertile swedish eggs in there as well). Today is day 27, and one of the swedish eggs has started to pip. I've read that call ducks usually hatch early, around day 25. Today I noticed the movement inside one of the calls stopped, so I opened it up immediately. It wasn't alive but still had a yolk sack(I thought I saw bruising on the back and a small air hole, so I opened the back first). It was facing the right way, but his beak might've been stuck behind his foot/ yolk sac.

I opened the other two up, which are thankfully still alive, (in the front air sac) and see huge yolk sacs, I think they are malpositioned.

So my questions are:

How can I help these calls hatch?

Are call ducks normally malpositioned( my first attempt was malpositioned as well)?

Why are these eggs taking longer to hatch than the swedish?

Can you prevent malpositions before the hatch?

Also, they seem to have an open space on each end, is that normal for calls?

I raised the humidity for lockdown, could that affect calls more quickly since they are so small?

Lastly, any other tips/advice on incubating and hatching calls? Do they require anything different from other ducks?

The pictures attached are of both call eggs.

Thank you so much for your time answering my questions! I really really appreciate it!

Attached Files:

casportpony likes this.
  2. CSAchook

CSAchook Crossing the Road

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    WVduckchick, Pyxis and casportpony like this.
  3. CSAchook

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    WVduckchick and casportpony like this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    WVduckchick, Pyxis and CSAchook like this.
  5. Quacksalot12

Quacksalot12 Chirping

Feb 19, 2016
    Thank you all for your help! I will take a look at that article, thanks for the link!

WVduckchick, casportpony and CSAchook like this.
  6. Quacksalot12

Quacksalot12 Chirping

Feb 19, 2016
    Should I wait for the yolk sack to absorb more before I assist? Also, do any of you think it's a malposition? Thank you!

7. CSAchook

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    I have fairly limited experience with hatching, but that looks like a LOT of yolk and blood vessels. I do not think you should try to assist any further. Moisten the membrane, but keep the eggs in the incubator and do not disturb them tonight. Wait for the yolk to resorb and the blood vessels to recede. Tomorrow others will be able to give more detailed advice on position etc, but for now, just be patient :hugs

8. Quacksalot12

Quacksalot12 Chirping

Feb 19, 2016
    Ok, thanks a bunch!

WVduckchick, casportpony and CSAchook like this.
  9. CSAchook

Aug 21, 2017
    New Mexico
    You are welcome! I assisted too early once and lost the chick :(
    So learn from my mistake, and be patient while the yolk is absorbed :old It is hard, but hopefully you will be rewarded with a couple of happy healthy little webbies :hugs

10. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You opened the air cells, right? If yes, then they are definitely malpositioned - that is their butt and the yolk you are looking at. Their heads must be on the other end. Do you see any kind of bruising on the shells on the other end anywhere?

casportpony, CSAchook and WVduckchick like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: