Need help and have questions about call duck hatching

Quacksalot12

Songster
5 Years
Feb 19, 2016
Hi there! This is my second attempt at hatching call duck eggs. I have several questions about call duck hatching since they seem to have a much more complicated hatch than other ducks.

I had 3 fertile call duck eggs in the incubator(and also have 2 fertile swedish eggs in there as well). Today is day 27, and one of the swedish eggs has started to pip. I've read that call ducks usually hatch early, around day 25. Today I noticed the movement inside one of the calls stopped, so I opened it up immediately. It wasn't alive but still had a yolk sack(I thought I saw bruising on the back and a small air hole, so I opened the back first). It was facing the right way, but his beak might've been stuck behind his foot/ yolk sac.

I opened the other two up, which are thankfully still alive, (in the front air sac) and see huge yolk sacs, I think they are malpositioned.

So my questions are:

How can I help these calls hatch?

Are call ducks normally malpositioned( my first attempt was malpositioned as well)?

Why are these eggs taking longer to hatch than the swedish?

Can you prevent malpositions before the hatch?

Also, they seem to have an open space on each end, is that normal for calls?

I raised the humidity for lockdown, could that affect calls more quickly since they are so small?

Lastly, any other tips/advice on incubating and hatching calls? Do they require anything different from other ducks?

The pictures attached are of both call eggs.

Thank you so much for your time answering my questions! I really really appreciate it!

Attachments

• C1ABDE3C-4704-48A9-B2FB-457E49DC2F08.jpeg
    C1ABDE3C-4704-48A9-B2FB-457E49DC2F08.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 5CD66D1C-8A56-4695-B58B-3F98760CD40B.jpeg
    5CD66D1C-8A56-4695-B58B-3F98760CD40B.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 30
Should I wait for the yolk sack to absorb more before I assist? Also, do any of you think it's a malposition? Thank you!
I have fairly limited experience with hatching, but that looks like a LOT of yolk and blood vessels. I do not think you should try to assist any further. Moisten the membrane, but keep the eggs in the incubator and do not disturb them tonight. Wait for the yolk to resorb and the blood vessels to recede. Tomorrow others will be able to give more detailed advice on position etc, but for now, just be patient :hugs

Back
Top Bottom