MishellPz

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2021
Yesterday I had came back to my home to see that my chick wasn't peeping (we let it be outside but inside a cage type of area, we couldn't keep it outside with the rest of the flock since a hawk or bird of that kind took it's two other siblings before). It was injured, and very badly at that :( At first we only found one injury under it's right wing which seemed to be a bad scratch from some animal. The blood was dried up so I suppose it happened hours before I arrived. We brought it inside and then found out it had another bad injury this time looking like the flesh was ripped off, being on it's left leg, right where they would bend their leg to sit or lay. We haven't cleaned it so I wanted to know if I should clean it or not, and what type of things I'll need to clean it with. So far it's getting better but mostly it has been sleeping, when it stands or sits it walks crooked so I'm worried about that too. Oh and what would be the best thing too feed it for a faster recovery? Feel free to tell me, I'll appreciate any help I can get! :')
Screenshot_20211204-154203.png
Screenshot_20211204-154157.png

Triple antibiotic ointment. NO PAINKILLERS! Give it Nutri-Drench or warm sugar water if you dont have Nutri-Drench. Make it mash out of chick feed. Put feed and some water in a mason jar. You can feed it right after you make it and for days after. Scrambled eggs are also good, they contain lots of protein. That is the basic knowledge I can give you. Let me tag a few people. @azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @RoosterWhisperer @-Flash-

Triple antibiotic ointment. NO PAINKILLERS! Give it Nutri-Drench or warm sugar water if you dont have Nutri-Drench. Make it mash out of chick feed. Put feed and some water in a mason jar. You can feed it right after you make it and for days after. Scrambled eggs are also good, they contain lots of protein. That is the basic knowledge I can give you. Let me tag a few people. @azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @RoosterWhisperer @-Flash-
Thanks for tagging me, but I'm no good with injuries. Good luck.

1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

2. Flush the wound well with saline. This is better than soap and water as it maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound.

3. Inspect the wound carefully. If it has a skin flap dangling, keep that. Do not cut it off. Look for bite, tear or puncture marks indicating a puncture wound. If you see this, the patient will need an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin. Bacteria from the predator’s mouth can be injected deep into tissue and can kill in as little as 24 to 48 hours. You can order this https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/250mg once a day for ten days. Or you may be able to find this or something similar at TSC or a pet store.

4. Spray with Vetericyn wound treament and let dry. Use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or a generic without pain killer in it to coat the wound. If there's a skin flap, lay it across the wound that has just been coated with the ointment. Then smooth on a generous amount over the top of the skin flap to hold it in place.

5. It's useless to try to stitch a wound on a chicken. Don't even try. It's also useless to try to bandage a wound other than on the feet. The chicken will not tolerate it. It will be pulled off faster than you can blink an eye.

6. Clean the wound every day following the above steps. Keep the wound covered with the ointment. Never allow the wound to get dried out or it will not heal.

Hello so sorry to hear about your chick. If they have no momma chicken, I would not let them stay outside during the day without supervision if the area they are in is not predator proof. My chicks only went outside when I was there with them, otherwise they were inside in the brooder. Can we see a pic of the space you are keeping your chick(s) outside to see how something would have gotten to it/them?

Hello so sorry to hear about your chick. If they have no momma chicken, I would not let them stay outside during the day without supervision if the area they are in is not predator proof. My chicks only went outside when I was there with them, otherwise they were inside in the brooder. Can we see a pic of the space you are keeping your chick(s) outside to see how something would have gotten to it/them?
I'll post that tomorrow since it's quite too dark for a picture now, but it's like a small house shaped cage that's covered with wires so that the chick itself doesn't squeeze itself out of it. I don't have a brooder since we don't raise chicks with no momma, their mother left them about a week ago despite them being small. As to how the animal could have attacked it we suspect it tried to grab it with it's beak or claws. We found scratch marks on the ground around it, just being like one scratch together since it wasn't paws we don't know.

Screenshots_2021-12-05-12-39-53.png
20210527_180325_HDR.jpg

It's this small house, the pictures are from some time ago so it's not a accurate. On the end of the house we have it covered fully. On it left side of the house it's halfway covered. We moved that house next to the bigger coop/barn for all the birds.

Back
Top Bottom