Need help. Do I assist at this time?

DixChix

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2016
Killeen,Tx
External pip lastnight around 8pm... No change since. Looks like membrane is drying out...what do I do?

The outer membrane is supposed to turn white. It's fine. Don't even think about trying to help a pipped egg until it's been at least 24 hours. If you try to help too early, you can kill the chick.

External pip lastnight around 8pm... No change since. Looks like membrane is drying out...what do I do?

welcome-byc.gif
I can see where your concern is. At this time, I wouldn't worry about the small amount of discolaration you are seeing around the edges. The majority of the membrane at this point is the nice white papery membrane that you want to see. If you start seeing that brownish/yellow extend out to the rest of the membrane, then yes, I would moisten it with a wet q-tip or put a small amount of vaseline on it.

Mama hen AKA Crazy Blue, is on a nest of 13 eggs. I'm so excited, as of this morning, we have 3 internal pips and one external pip!!!! I am anxious because my last broody went psycho on her only surviving chick. I work a 10 hour shift today
1f62d.png
Hopefully everything goes well.

Back
Top Bottom