Need help figuring out what’s wrong with my serama rooster, thanks.

Gunnar Moore

Hatching
Aug 18, 2021
My serama rooster about 2 years old was fine yesterday but I was feeding them and changing they’re water like I do every morning when I realized he didn’t come off his perch and I checked on him and he’s pale like most of his face and comb is almost white and I figured out he’s blind too I’ll wave my hang in front of his face and he doesn’t have any reaction he was fine last night but just over night this happened I checked his eyes and there’s nothing different about them it’s just he can’t see out of either of his eyes and he’s pale and acts kinda sick but he will still crow I separated him from all my others just in case he was to have a disease but would anyone have a clue what’s going on with him?

Just a hunch. Try giving him a vitamin E capsule directly into his beak.

Chickens can get a neurological problem out of the blue, here today, gone tomorrow. He needs to drink water, so either syringe some sugar water into his beak or place him where he can find water, dipping his beak to show him it's there. Do the same with food. I suggest a scrambled egg.

You want to observe him over the next 24 hours and give us updates. As things unfold, there may be more clues.

The paleness mentioned makes me think Anaemia. The blindness is Vitamin A deficiency.

Can you get pictures of him, or post a video?
D92892F7-4CB7-44D6-B949-1602FE4FA86E.jpeg

Attachments

• 7386767A-1AA6-4351-A4D1-2D73586AA005.jpeg
    7386767A-1AA6-4351-A4D1-2D73586AA005.jpeg
    662.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 9E9961B8-B805-444A-A91E-BA74A371E6B9.jpeg
    9E9961B8-B805-444A-A91E-BA74A371E6B9.jpeg
    840.6 KB · Views: 5
All of my chickens are mainly free range but I’ll check him for mites when I have the time again
You have to check every little hole in your coop where the red mites could be hiding. They don't stay on the chicken but they stay in their nest (usually a little hole or in the bedding) until the night, then as the chickens are sleeping the mites go to suck the blood from the chickens. So even if they are freerange there is the chance they have mites in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom