Need help malfunction pip worried for chick

sharron123

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2016
Can anyone help me i first noticed the external pip at 9.30 this morning not sure when it happened an ots pipped the wrong side its not just a little pip some of the shell is off an the menbrane is showing its now been nearly 11 hours when should i help im really worried my other two have hatched fine an the other egg in there as pipped in air sack this is my second lot of hatching an all five of my others hatched without help ive read up on this but dont want to jump in but scared the menbrane will dry

Give it time. The last several I had pip at the wrong end turned out just fine.
IMHO, assisted chicks don't do well.
In nature, they hatch or they don't. Survival of the fittest.
Lots of others will disagree with me but chickens and their ancestors have hatched for millions of years without human assistance. Why would they need it now that we are hovering over incubators?

Can anyone help me i first noticed the external pip at 9.30 this morning not sure when it happened an ots pipped the wrong side its not just a little pip some of the shell is off an the menbrane is showing its now been nearly 11 hours when should i help im really worried my other two have hatched fine an the other egg in there as pipped in air sack this is my second lot of hatching an all five of my others hatched without help ive read up on this but dont want to jump in but scared the menbrane will dry
I would definitely give the little guy at least 18-24 hours before attempting an assist. Malpositioned pippers can actually take longer to progress from pip to zip because they are skipping the time they spend in the internal pip. If you are worried about the membrane drying you can put a light coat of neosporin (w/o pain relief) over the exposed membrane or a very light coat of vaseline on it and this will help keep it from drying out and give it time to progress. Depending on it's positioning you may have to assist in order for it to hatch, but you can only do that successfully once the vascular system from chick to egg has shut down. I do my assists like this: http://hatching411.weebly.com/assisting-a-hatcher.html and if you need more help, there's usually someone in and out here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

Give it time. The last several I had pip at the wrong end turned out just fine.
IMHO, assisted chicks don't do well.
In nature, they hatch or they don't. Survival of the fittest.
Lots of others will disagree with me but chickens and their ancestors have hatched for millions of years without human assistance. Why would they need it now that we are hovering over incubators?
Because they hatched normally without us messing things up.
wink.png
Seriously though, from the point of view from a hands on hatcher, and with respect for your personal theory. I highly disagree. All of my assists, except one, have gone on to be healthy happy birds. My very first assist was a malpo that had her feet over her head. She would have never hatched without help because her positioning would have never been conducive to hatching. She was one of my first egg layers and I'm glad I helped. Now I am not saying that every assist I did definitely wouldn't have hatched without the assist, some might have done fine, but I don't go past the 24 hour point w/o starting, many times they finish on their own.

But, I highly believe that the reasoning for the assist is going to be the biggest factor in the outcome (other than doing it right and at the right time). A hatcher that is days overdue and weak to begin with, probably won't survive no matter what you do. An on time hatcher stuck because we have the environment messed up trying to hatch on time, has very good chances if the assist is done right. A chick needing help because of a deformity... well you don't know that until you help and that's where you have to decide if you can handle the outcome, whatever it may be. Some people can't and shouldn't help. Other's of us wouldn't have it any other way. Culling is not fun, but I would rather help and deal with that then not help. I'm a bleeding heart, I openly admit it. I could never be in a business where animals are concerned because I could not make the decisions best for the business but detrimental to the heart.

Thank you for you help an advice i hope hes going to be alright not going to get much sleep

He is still tapping as been for over a hour but no change in the pip hole is this normal

Back
Top Bottom