Need help to ID this Coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Barney47, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Barney47

Barney47 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    N. Central, ILL
    I purchased some Coturnix last year as Jumbo Browns and I saved some for breeding. Out of 25 I got 3 this color. Could someone tell me what color it is? I suppose it is a recessive trait as none of my breeders showed this color. Not that it is all bad as this is my largest bird out of my first batch at 9.5 oz. at exactly 5 weeks. But I suppose if I were to sell any at a later date I would have to sell them as just Jumbo since this color variation is showing up. I went to the Kankakee swap meet a couple of weeks ago where I bought these and I saw the guy I got them from and he also had a few this color.

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    That would be a rosetta with some white on it. So a rosetta tuxedo.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have one of those. Cute little things aren't they?

4. Barney47

Barney47 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    N. Central, ILL
    I like it. Like I said it is a solid bird weighing 9.5 oz. and he didn't look as big as some browns that were 1 oz smaller. I just don't know how to sex them. Beer sex them I guess. Some have started crowing in this 5 week old pen and I got several eggs out of a 6 week old pen.

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:yep. Vent sex or "beer" sex the rosettas... and Tuxedos too for that matter.

6. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    Coturnix quail are easy to sex the beek and the eye shadow. around the eye if its light its a hen. and most dark beeked birds are cocks. beeks works as soon as they get fethers about 95%. ive also used the egg method round and pointed give that a try if you hatch alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by