Need Help with Sick Chicken

skullgrrrl

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
My 9 month old Silver Laced Wyandotte is sick. About 6 days ago I noticed that she was sleeping on the floor of the coop and not on the roost bar. Two nights in a row I lifted her up to the roost bar and she stayed there. I didn't take this as a symptom of illness but attributed it to the introduction of a new (healthy) hen in to the coop. On the third night she bedded down with some chicks in a dog crate. After that I put her in a dog crate in quarantine and gave her electrolytes.
She looks healthy – her feathers are beautiful, her eyes clear, no coughing/sneezing, no obvious injuries. I have checked her abdomen and I don’t think she’s egg bound (don’t know when she last laid). She just looks generally droopy. She is eating a little, drinking and pooping. I thought she might have an impacted crop so I massaged it and gave her olive oil and soft bread soaked in olive oil which she ate. She seems very light so she’s lost weight.
The entire flock was wormed and treated for mites in December.
I don’t have a vet to take her to. Can anyone recommend something I can do to help? Should I be feeding her? What? I hate to see her suffer and if she’s got something contagious I don’t want my other hens to get sick (she’s still in quarantine). I’m not sure if this is a coincidence but the flock’s egg production has dropped in the last week even though they all look healthy.

Back
Top Bottom