Blu-kote is primarily used to dye the skin and feathers to discourage “red picking” from other birds. It has mild antiseptic and antifungal properties that should not be relied on at all. In this case it would just make the wound impossible to see and messy to work with.

Do you have betadine? I would immediately fill a bowl with warm water and soak the wound until you get as much blood off as possible. Plucking or trimming the feathers so you have a clear view of what’s happening is necessary at this point.
I prefer betadine for wound cleaning, but there are many options, soap and water being one of them. Just be careful around his eye and don’t use a full concentration of whatever you’re cleaning with. I’m surprised the vet didn’t clean this area up more.. honestly, kind of shameful to write off fly eggs. A saline flush is also a good idea and will not hurt his eye.

I think his eye will he just fine IF you properly get this cleaned and cleared of feathers and ick. Do not be timid about getting in there. Vetericyn is fine to spray on it, but since he is on baytril then infection is less of a worry and there is no point spraying anything on a dirty wound. Your main priority is to properly clean and flush it.

No blue kote around the eyes. Veterycin and also saline wash. Get those eggs off before the maggots get in the wounds and keep him away from flies best inside.

Alright. Thank you for the help, by the way. And when I was trying to get the maggots out, and these ones were very deep in the feathers, I accidentally pulled a feather out. Here’s a picture
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright. Thank you for the help, by the way. And when I was trying to get the maggots out, and these ones were very deep in the feathers, I accidentally pulled a feather out. Here’s a picture
Alright. Thank you for the help, by the way. And when I was trying to get the maggots out, and these ones were very deep in the feathers, I accidentally pulled a feather out. Here’s a pictureView attachment 1442510
Not good! Pluck all of those feathers around the wound. Your duck is in much more danger than just losing his eye with those maggots eating away so close to his brain.

I am not a wound care expert, but I would give him supportive supplements like electrolytes, probiotics, garlic, and maybe a dose of baby vitamins to help his body cope with the stress and medications.

Thank you for the help. I’ll give it a shot.

I feel pretty sure there’s no saving that eye. The Blu-Kote is the best way to insure infection doesn’t set in.

The vet said that the eyeball itself was perfectly fine; it’s just the eyelid was swollen, but the vet also gave him medicine for the inflammation and pain.

Last edited:
When my duck got attacked, I made a mixture of 50% ACV and water. I also use Vetricyn. 3-4 times daily with the ACV and Vetricyn to rinse wound area.

Vinegar and flies do not mix.

Be sure to keep out of eyes.

On that first day, we used wound seal once we debrided the wound and applied antibiotic ointment. This created a antiseptic barrier. A friend who was an Iraq vet and Medic helped me that first day with lots of advice and support from the saints here.

I know that woundseal or blood stop, may not apply to this case as the wound is not actively bleeding like my med patient 1.

However, I swear by ACV.

Thank you for the help. I’ll try vinegar for the eggs

Not good! Pluck all of those feathers around the wound. Your duck is in much more danger than just losing his eye with those maggots eating away so close to his brain.

There aren’t any on his neck and up, although there are a LOT of eggs. That feather was in a clump of four to six other feathers in the same condition. I got the eggs off of that area, though is resulted in a few more feathers lost (the eggs were so tightly packed it was almost like it was a part of the feather), though I will get those feathers around the wound plucked.

Hope about the eggs have you managed to get them all off? Might have to bite the bullet and get the feathers out that have the eggs attached to them. Wonder if a fine toothed comb would work.

Yeah, I’m starting to think that with how hard it is. Although I do have a comb right here, so I’ll try that

If you haven't already GET THOSE FLY EGGS OFF NOW! Pluck feathers if you have to, this could go from bad to impossible very quickly. Maggots can hatch in as little as 8 hours! If you don't, you will have to pluck out maggots when they bury into the wound, and given the number of eggs, ohboy not good. I will keep your duckie in my prayers. Good on you getting him to the vet and being a good mommy! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom