I agree with both the PTSD comment & the comment that he likely feels secure with you around. Animals know who loves them & now, especially since you took care of him & nursed him back to health, he's got an even stronger bond with you.

He may need to have some supervised free range time for a while. Maybe that would help him to get back to a feeling of confidence. I don't think that will come quickly nor do I think that he'll forget what happened to him. But, like people, perhaps time will help him to freak out less if he knows that you are watching over him.

Of course, it's all speculation, as we can only offer a guess as to what goes thru their minds
Can't blame the poor dear, really. That must have been terrifying to experience & horrible for anyone who saw it.

I agree with both the PTSD comment & the comment that he likely feels secure with you around. Animals know who loves them & now, especially since you took care of him & nursed him back to health, he's got an even stronger bond with you.

He may need to have some supervised free range time for a while. Maybe that would help him to get back to a feeling of confidence. I don't think that will come quickly nor do I think that he'll forget what happened to him. But, like people, perhaps time will help him to freak out less if he knows that you are watching over him.

Of course, it's all speculation, as we can only offer a guess as to what goes thru their minds
Can't blame the poor dear, really. That must have been terrifying to experience & horrible for anyone who saw it.

You’re right about the supervising and I’m trying to spend more time out there with him. And yes, I agree that it would have been a traumatic thing to see.
Dragon should become a house duck. He should have diapers and sleep in your bed and take showers with you. It just stands to reason.

I can’t have him as a house duck as I have a dog that witnessed the attack and so may attack Dragon if he comes close enough. The dog, Doug, is a small Jack Russel Terrier with separation anxiety so I can’t put him outside for long.

You DO have your hands full, don't ya?!

Well, you just do the best that you can, he'll do the best that he can & pretty soon (hopefully) he'll be feeling better and more like his old self.

You DO have your hands full, don't ya?!

Well, you just do the best that you can, he'll do the best that he can & pretty soon (hopefully) he'll be feeling better and more like his old self.

He seems to be fine, so it might’ve been a bad mood he was in, though he also seems happier.
ALSO! Good news, I found out Dragon is a girl, so my great-grandmother gave me a male Cayuga! His name is Max, and Dragon has taken a liking to him. Right now they’re all in their coop; they’re all calm and they have stopped fighting. Abigail, my gray duck who didn’t like him the most, is now letting him in the kiddy pool to swim, drink, and eat the plantain I tore up for them. Firequacker, my most friendly and assumed lead duck, has stopped charging him. They all have had since seven pm yesterday to become friends, so what should I do now? The river is just a few feet from their duck house and is a great place for the ducks to fish. Should I keep them in the coop or let them out? He isn’t totally used to me yet, so I’m worried he might try to make a run for it, and he’s too fast for me to catch. Should I let everyone else out, and not him? Or everyone? Or no one?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom