need help with ventilation ideas....

jojomojo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NW New Mexico
Any ideas to salvage this siding? We're trying to spend as little as possible getting this shed turned into a coop (someday we might put money into it, but right now we're not sure this is permanent). As you can see, this shed already has some "ventilation". We really do not want to buy new siding, but if we can't make this work, I guess we'll have to. Whatever is on there now is kind of disintegrating around the edges, so we figured we'd put something over the corners & seams. Any tips on priming/painting since its already falling apart? (just hoping to keep it from getting much worse)

I'm not sure what to do for ventilation (other than put it where the holes are). Any suggestions? We're just going for functional, I don't expect it to look amazing (and its well hidden behind the shop lol).

I might also add that we are not very handy
hmm.png
Any suggestions offered are very much appreciated
big_smile.png

You could probably cut a window where that big crack is, then reinforce it on the inside with 2x4s. Ventilation is best higher up, and the more the better. But the chickens would probably appreciate a room with a view, some windows with hardware cloth over them.

If it were me, Id add at least two Windows, You could put them any place really make them look nice, Before I added the windows though I would lay out the inside of your coop such as where the nesting boxes and roost will go.

If you have a Saw mill near you, they usally sell rough cut lumber very cheap and by the looks of your coop it isn't that big, My buddies coop is about your size and I think we had two Hundred in lumber into it. So after the windows are in then you could side over what is already there and be done with it, Rough cut lumber doesn't need any kind of paint or coating you could leave it as is and it will darken over time.

You could also had Soffit Vents and a Gables vents.

Cannot really tell from the photos, but if the eave soffits are open, you'll have pretty good ventilation, right where you need it.
A window or two, however, would provide wonderful lighting for both you and the birds.

As far as the siding, if some pieces of wood siding are gone, I'd replace with OSB. It's cheap. $7.50 or less a 4x8 sheet. Then, I'd put on re-cycled metal or vinyl. Even new vinyl isn't that expensive in the lowest grade they have. It would still be zero maintenance and last 40 years. Our barn, which is huge in comparison is 20x24 and 16' tall, yet I believe we sided it for under $300.

Rough cut Lumber such as Hemlock and Pine will last a very long time also, 100 Plus years, Also the sideing depends on what look you want and what the rest of your buildings look like, I would only put the OSB up if you plan to cover over it other wise use plywood.

Rough cut Lumber such as Hemlock and Pine will last a very long time also, 100 Plus years, Also the sideing depends on what look you want and what the rest of your buildings look like, I would only put the OSB up if you plan to cover over it other wise use plywood.

Neither plywood nor OSB holds up without being covered. OSB uncovered will not last long at all. Even exterior grade plywoods, these days, only last a bit longer. They are designed to be covered. Treat Plywood last a while, but spendy!!!! Note the OP's photo. Water splashing on the lower portion. This is what plywoods cannot take. Cheap wafer/flake boards many are even a lower grade than OSB and they self destruct quickly as well. Paint it, seal it, till you're blue in the face, and still, this stuff wicks water something fierce, swells, buckles, and delaminates. Cover it properly? Probably last a century. LOL

For cheap easy ventilation take a 5/8 drill bit and drill a series of holes in the gable ends. I did this & probably drilled 25 holes in each end up high. Works great. You cold then cover the holes from the inside with 1/2 in. hardware cloth to keep really small birds out. Hope this helps.

Yes Plywood will fail also, but it will last longer then OSB, they said they want to try it out then they may cover it, I think that it should be done right from the start that is why I mentioned the Rough Cut lumber cheap and long lasting and easy to put up. I added gutters to my coop to help with the splash problem, I also tend to spend more then others would, So if that was my coop I would ( I tend to use new material unless I can find used that is in great shape I take pride in my Yard,home and landscaping )

Add windows these you can find cheap used and in nice shape,
then add Rough cut or what ever siding you chose,
add soffit vents and gable vents or a roof vent,
add gutters.

You could probably cut a window where that big crack is, then reinforce it on the inside with 2x4s. Ventilation is best higher up, and the more the better. But the chickens would probably appreciate a room with a view, some windows with hardware cloth over them.

I think this option might work best, just windows ( as cheap as I can manage) lower on the sides and ventilation up top. I found a post here about someone using Lexan and thought, oh thats a great idea! Then I saw the price of it at Lowe's
hmm.png
I guess if I spend a little on the windows, I could always use them in another project when I'm ready to scrap the siding on this shed.

Cannot really tell from the photos, but if the eave soffits are open, you'll have pretty good ventilation, right where you need it.
A window or two, however, would provide wonderful lighting for both you and the birds.

The eave soffits aren't open, but I could easily open them up (I was eyeing that yesterday).

Next summer I would have no problem putting a few hundred into it, but right now, I'm not sure I want to make this location permanent. We have 3 acres - ideally I would build a portable coop (not exactly a chicken tractor though) and use a rotational paddock type system. I can't bring myself to put money into siding for this shed only to cut into it to make it a coop, then next summer want to use it as a shed again ;)

The weather here is usually VERY dry. I think this shed has just been neglected for a very long time (we just bought the place) - it housed trash & wasps nests up until this weekend. The floor is solid and it appears to have a new metal roof. The sides seem to be paneling (has the grooves) that was left unprimed/painted.

Its also only 8x8, it'll do for now but I definitely plan on getting more chickens
big_smile.png

If anyone knows of any examples online of window ideas on the cheap, I'd love to see them. I know people pick up used windows cheap, but I wouldn't know where to look to find them.

Back
Top Bottom