NEED HELP!

My duck can't walk or stand.whats the problem??..NEED HELP asap!

• What to get them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What can I do

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Thanks for your advice so helpful.if you don't really know nothing bout it please don't reply thanks!

If the problem is due to the cresting, then they're right, there IS nothing that could be done.

Cresting is caused by a fatal gene. Any duck that gets two copies dies before it can hatch. The crest is caused by a hole in the skull, which the crest sits on top of.

Additionally, the gene can cause all kinds of neurological issues, like seizures, walking in circles - and lameness.

But before jumping to the conclusion that this definitely the case, the niacin issue should be addressed first.

Exactly! And there's two different answers to my question..ones says to get it ones says to not get it..sooo????

Get this:

I've never been to a Tractor Supply they don't sell it at and I would be very surprised if yours doesn't have it. It's formulated with ducklings in mind, as you can see from the picture of the duckling on the bag.

Get this:

I've never been to a Tractor Supply they don't sell it at and I would be very surprised if yours doesn't have it. It's formulated with ducklings in mind, as you can see from the picture of the duckling on the bag.

x2!

I can speak from experience that Purina Flock raiser crumble is a really great feed for duckling and all poultry I have used it for mine from hatch on till end of life. Never had a problem with it. Please take the advise of the Educator that is why she is one here on BYC.

Sure hope you see improvements in your little duckling soon, once they get the B Complex into their systems they seem to bounce back pretty quick :fl

:goodpost:

20180613_191551.jpg
Before: He couldn't stand nor walk and always was laying on his left side. And he couldn't open his feet they were always sticking together and his leg was always out too(doesnt seem normal) because of the pain he had on that side as you can see in the picture.
20180615_194443.jpg
After: He can now stand and lay right and also walks a few steps he literally runs he hardly walks lol because he knows that if he walks he'll lose his balance so he runs to avoid that hahaha and his feet are back to normal and his leg is so much better. I couldn't get him standing ,every time I'd wanna take a picture he lays down lol but he's getting there to recovery:) The vitamins are working well and the exercise in his pool to get his leg better is working perfectly fine. The pool excerise is what gets him going.It helps him learn to balance himself up again as you guys know haha... beyond happy:)Theres an update you guys been waiting for!! :)

Yes it eats and drinks well. I have no idea what the gender is? How can you tell? It's about 4 to 5 months.

What were you giving it for feed? What breed is it? If it's a domestic breed aside from muscovy, it can be sexed by its quack - a female has a loud quack, a male has a low raspy quack.

Gender is important because egg binding can cause lameness.

Last edited:
What do you feed when you,re not feeding bird seed? Was it a duck starter with enough niacin to keep his legs healthy? Pekins especially seem to need a lot of niacin. A niacin deficiency will cause them to go lame and can cause the legs to become deformed.

I didn't notice that he was crested, but yes, it might be linked to that. Crested ducks can have a lot of incurable neurological issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom