Need Opinions Please

mastiffsinky

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Bremen, Ky
Well last year I had a foam incubator and my hatching results were horrible. I even tried the automatic turner, no better results. So now next year i want to seriously hatch eggs. We expect about 10 to 20 eggs a day in our different breeds. Maybe there might be more, but this is what I expect at this time. I will be allowing some of the hens to hatch the eggs, but obviously we need an incubator to hatch out more. So this is where I need input. Is it better to use the foam ones (just get a forced air one) or the cabinet ones? Or is it a matter of personal choice? Personally I would like one that you don't have to mess with turning the eggs yourself, etc. I think this was a major problem with us, because some days I was only able to turn them 1 time versus 3. Humidity was another factor as we had several develop, just not hatch, and even some pip but not hatch all the way. I think the Sportsman 1502 looks good, but are there any others out there similar to it maybe a little cheaper? Or is it worth the investment in the long run? Any input is appreciated here.

Thanks,
Katie

Well if I had unlimited funds I'd have a cabinet incubator in a heartbeat. Since I don't, I'll just keep using my Genesis 1588s which I've really had very good luck with.

If I have to, when I do taxes in Jan I will go for the cabnet type, but do you have a link to look at the ones you use?

Thanks,
Katie

I have pretty good results with my LG 9200. I did get a fan to put in it, which makes it keep temp and humidity both better, go figure! One way with the foam bators that you could help out with better humidity is to add sponges to your water. Also, imo, a turner is a must!! I have so much other things to do, that I would forget to turn them. I got lucky with my first hatch, because if you were to look at the way I did things, I shouldn't have had any hatch!! The cabinet bators are very nice, but like Katy said, I'm not made of money either!

Maybe give your styro bator a chance first before investing. Eggs need to be turned at least 3x a day (odd number so they don't sit overnight on the same side always) My first batches I was only turning 2x a day and both batches died at 8-10 days. Last 2 hatches I turned 3-5x a day and had great hatches with my LG!

Back
Top Bottom