Need suggestions for crop issue

aunttam

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
200A2AF3-B6E6-4C0C-8CEF-37C76CE8D2EF.jpeg 7B9CE9E1-BD07-42F8-85B4-AB510B3005BE.jpeg 200A2AF3-B6E6-4C0C-8CEF-37C76CE8D2EF.jpeg I’m new to the backyard chickens. My husband and I started a few years ago with 6 chickens. As if this spring we only had one left. We took a chance at the local tractor supply store and bought 6 baby chickens. They seem to be doing well until about 3 weeks ago. We noticed one of the girls had a distended crop. We looked for information and thought it was sour crop. My husband followed the suggestions and for 3 days tried to empty the crop by messaging it and putting her head down so she would bring it up. She did several times and it was disgusting and a lot! When this didn’t happen to help I decided to see what others experienced. She acts fine - except that the crop is so big it interferes with her walking. She’s eating and pooping. I have a couple of pics. Any comments would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, not all information on the internet is useful. Or even safe to follow. Even here on BYC, bad info gets passed around, and finally a desperate chicken keeper with a sick chicken will finally get hold of the proper information and hope it isn't too late.

I wrote this short article to try to help folks figure out and treat crop issues. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ All the information is from my own personal experience, trying things that didn't work, and discovering the things that would, and figuring out the things you shouldn't do because they're just too dangerous.

If you give the article a read, I'll be hanging around if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom