1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need your opinion on breed selection - adding to flock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Princessferf, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Princessferf

Princessferf Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I currrently have 9 Production Reds and am getting 10 new layers this spring. I have decided I don't want to get additional PRs and want to get a breed instead that will lay a little longer, but not necessarily everyday.

I've been very happy with the PRs I have, but going forward I don't want the sudden drop off of laying that this breed is known for.

The hatchery I get my birds from offer the following additional options: Barred Rock, Gold Star, White Rock, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte or Arcanas.

I'd love to hear your experiences, pros and cons of the breeds you've had (if listed above) to help me make my decision. I'm especially curious about how long they generally lay in a consistent manner (# of years) and how often they generally lay (every day, every other day, etc.).

Thanks so much!

2. Princessferf

Nov 30, 2007
    Wisconsin
    bump... !

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Well you don't want Gold Star (that would be a similar situation)

My choices would go:
    Barred Rock [​IMG]
    White Rock
    Black Austrolorp
    Arcanas (if you means Easter Egger) how they categorize them
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    Buff Orpington

Joanne

4. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

I like the black australorpe and the buff orbingtons and barred rocks are good too.

5. Princessferf

Nov 30, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are Buff Orpingtons cold hardy? (we're in Wisconsin)

My Production Reds have done very well in the cold... so any other breeds I bring in need to be hardy, too.

6. AtRendeAcres

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    They are but, will still get frost bite! If they do: you are suppose to dub them! because of infection! [​IMG]

After this past winter of frost bite I am getting rid of anything with a single comb!!!

I have EEs, Ameraucanas, & Brahmas! (these all have pea combs)

they have no problem!

Joanne

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  7. AtRendeAcres

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have heard Wyandottes are also good (Just Never had)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by