Need your opinion on breed selection - adding to flock

Princessferf

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
Wisconsin
I currrently have 9 Production Reds and am getting 10 new layers this spring. I have decided I don't want to get additional PRs and want to get a breed instead that will lay a little longer, but not necessarily everyday.

I've been very happy with the PRs I have, but going forward I don't want the sudden drop off of laying that this breed is known for.

The hatchery I get my birds from offer the following additional options: Barred Rock, Gold Star, White Rock, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte or Arcanas.

I'd love to hear your experiences, pros and cons of the breeds you've had (if listed above) to help me make my decision. I'm especially curious about how long they generally lay in a consistent manner (# of years) and how often they generally lay (every day, every other day, etc.).

Thanks so much!

Well you don't want Gold Star (that would be a similar situation)

My choices would go:
Barred Rock
love.gif

White Rock
Black Austrolorp
Arcanas (if you means Easter Egger) how they categorize them
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Buff Orpington

Joanne

Are Buff Orpingtons cold hardy? (we're in Wisconsin)

My Production Reds have done very well in the cold... so any other breeds I bring in need to be hardy, too.

They are but, will still get frost bite! If they do: you are suppose to dub them! because of infection!
sickbyc.gif

After this past winter of frost bite I am getting rid of anything with a single comb!!!

I have EEs, Ameraucanas, & Brahmas! (these all have pea combs)

they have no problem!

Joanne

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom