HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
I've always known that owning animals is responsiblity, going on vacation is nearly impossible. And I've fully accepted that.

Unfortunately, my uncle, the only uncle I have left, is dying. He lives down in Lousiana, and me in Nebraska. He's got no one down there with him, he lives alone and in a small camper. He's unable to walk and cant care for himself or the place. This has been going on since September. I agreed to spend his last Christmas with him and bring a trailer to help him clean up the place. I planned for at least a 2 week stay. I had someone willing to care for the chickens and other pets until now. I think I have someone willing to do it, but they'll only be able to come out 3 to 4 times a week due to their own health problems!
I can put 200lbs of feed per coop, which I would hope lasts long enough. The issue is water. I can only run one extension cord per coop, and my waterers are only 5 gallon. We are reaching below freezing temps at night, or close to. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep a lot of water available that wont freeze? I have single water heaters, but my chickens can empty it in 30 hours, I have about 18 birds per coop. I dont want them without water longer than half a day, that's just cruel. Are there any homemade waterers that can be heated and hold a lot of water? That can be made fairly cheap and filled easily.. I'm pretty much asking for a miracle. Feed and water are the only things I'm asking of this person, but is there anything else that should be done to prepare my birds for minimum care? I feel so bad asking such a thing, I never would have done this if I didn't have to. Last time I was on vacation for 5 days, 4 birds died in someone else's care and I'm just paranoid I'm giving my birds a death sentence.

Make sure you give the task to someone that has been around chickens before and has experience caring for them or other pets. Give them lists about what to do, and tell them to contact you or how to get on BYC if anything goes wrong. Good luck!
Unfortunately nobody owns chickens around here, so that is impossible. I'm the only chicken owner for a long ways. I always print out detailed instructions on what to do. I really trust this person, it's just her health limits how long she can be in the cold so my chickens will be left without care for several days at a time. Whereas I check on them twice a day. Thank you! :D

So sorry about you uncle! :hugs Good luck! :)
Thank you :hugsHe is a lonely man, but he never liked Nebraska so he just left everyone and has lived alone for 20+ years. I actually have only met him once because of it, but he has cared for me like a daughter. He bought me my first school computer and microscope for studying. I love him so much.

I don't know when you have to leave, but there may be a little time to DIY something.
Facing a similar problem with my ducks: Having a cr@ppy job which forces me to leave home for days, a muddy yard, bad cell phone coverage and a wife that i don't want to find injured in the yard (or worse) when i come back home, i am currently building a maintenance free duck-waterer. This is the idea:
upload_2018-12-5_20-20-52.png

I have the PVC pipe cut-out, installed the float valve and the drain-pipe, i don't know exactly how to fit in the pipe-heater cable and i need something to hold the pipe and lift it from the ground. With chickens, you may be able to leave the drain-pipe out of the picture, my idea was to let it drip (therefore the valve), so that the food-muck that the duck produce will be washed out permanently.
The float-valve with garden-hose adapter was $13 on eBay, the pipe heating cable was $17, also on eBay. The valve was $6 at the hardware store, the knee was $2, the pipes were left here by the previous property owner. A bit elbow grease and your birds have a free drink day & night.
This is where i am at the moment:
20181204_161556.jpg The float-valve assembly and the cut-out pipe
20181204_164556.jpg The float valve installation
20181204_164551.jpg The drainage hole with the knee screwed in
20181204_164541.jpg This is how it looks from outside
20181204_164608.jpg everything together
I hope that helps.

I'm sorry to hear of your uncle, that sure puts a lot of stress on you.

Have you checked with anyone on your state thread to see if anyone is close to you that could help? Here's a link to get there if you need it:
Nebraska

Hope things go well for you!

Back
Top Bottom