Neighbor's Cat

Quote:
Be careful. Even in places where it's legal to shoot to kill invading dog/cat predators, it can be considered cruelty to animals to shoot to wound them. The wounds don't even have to be that bad. If it leaves a bruise or breaks the skin, you can be in big trouble.

I say use the humane trap and turn him in. Honestly, the cat will get tired of getting stuck in a trap. Also, you can tag him with vinegar water in a squirt gun...that will take some fun out of visiting your yard.

If you happened to leave a dish of canned mackerel with between 1000 - 1500mg of paracetamol crushed into it available for the tabby, it will solve your problem. Of course the most pleasant way to solve the problem is to discuss matters with your neighbours.

I live in Texas, and we can shoot anything on our property pretty much. I haven't read the other responses, but i would do what i did when the neighbor's pit bull got loose and came over to harrass my chickens.

I went next door, found the neighbor, politely told him that we've noticed that his dog chews through that rope from time to time, and that we don't want trouble, but if that dog comes after our chickens again, my husband's gonna shoot him.

Haven't had a problem since.

Of course, cats are a little more difficult to "contain." But if you have the legal right to shoot him as i have, it's only polite (and benevolent in my opinion) to talk to the owner first.

Did your chicken make it? Had the cat killed her?

Quote:
It's also a good way to get arrested if you get caught and possibly cause harm to other animals.

I really, really, really Don't like poison!!

Talk to your neighbors and/or animal control. Animal control won't come out for a pesky cat, but they may lend you a live trap. If they do and you catch the cat they will most likely also fine the owner.

Good luck in resolving your problem, I hope it all works out well.

Quote:
It's also a good way to get arrested if you get caught and possibly cause harm to other animals.

Talk to your neighbors and/or animal control. Animal control won't come out for a pesky cat, but they may lend you a live trap. If they do and you catch the cat they will most likely also fine the owner.

Kittymomma is right. I shouldhave stressed. It is important if using paracetamol that you supervise to ensure the right cat gets it. I was plagued by a stray cat spraying on my front door for 18 months and this technique eventually provided the only solution but it did require me to spot the cat that was doing it and supervise over the next few nights its patterns. I was then able to leave the bait. I have had no problem thank God since. I do feel sorry for the cat to a point but it was a pest and i tried every other method with no success. Definitely use this as a last resort as poisons can be dangerous in this dosage to dogs and other animals though fortuntely not to kids which was my primary concern.

Quote:

It's not necessarily true that Animal Control won't come out for a cat. We had a stray cat coming around and eating our cat's food. Animal control came and got him. I had to trap him first, but they were happy to haul him off for me.

Back
Top Bottom