Neighbor's hen

thumbsup.gif

I would just keep feeding and watering her and letting her free range. You could probably put a box or bucket where she is laying now and get her to use that. Then you could move it some a little each day to a more protected area. Or area out of the way of the burn pit.

I would take the older eggs and cook them or just mix raw into some feed and let her have them back. Then once you know the eggs are fresh, keep them.

If you do not pen her up, no one can say you "took" her. You were just making sure she was fed and had water.

Sounds complicated....If you are adopting this bird, why don't you want to integrate ? I don't understand.

Is this GG a Rooster or a hen ? I would assume you don't want to integrate because of your rooster or desease or you think the stray should just live out in the yard and free range. This poor bird is abviously VERY lonely and needs to be with a flock.

I'm very concerned about the fact that the neighbors other rooster or rooster was killed by predators. This stray bird will surely be killed as well and needs to be in a enclosed coop at night....I guess I need more details from you if you don't mind....Thanks.

Last edited:
Quote:
The OP doesn't want to integrate due to the age difference of the birds and the inherent problems associated with that. The bird is a hen as the OP has stated that it is producing eggs.. While the OP is rightfully reluctant to integrate (possible damage to his younger birds, disease, neighborhood knows the bird belongs to the neighbor, not to mention that the neighbor's behavior may be affected by drugs), he is still taking care of and meeting this hens basic needs. While the hen may be lonely, the OP's first concern must be for their current flock.. That's just my opinion.

Why be so tentative about the neighbor? Go next door, say hi... "just wanted to let you know your hen is at my place and she's welcome to stay in case you were wondering where she's been. This opens the door for them to respond with a solid answer and no guess work. Maybe give you the bird .. so to speak and then the next time your at the grocery store pick up a covered cat litter box. Fill it with bedding and put a few of her eggs in it and wait to see if she adopts it. If she does you can most likely move it to a better location if its in your way. Or.. just get her the box and make her happy...

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a great idea, thanks. The a-frame is built already, it's not big, fairly light and very mobile. I think it should be sufficient enough. It's roughly 36" wide x 24'' tall x 24'' deep, built with fiberglass roof panels for the sides, pressure treated 2x4's for the framing and a piece of plywood for the backside. And the great thing, I didn't have to run Lowes or HD, already had everything here.

Another idea I had was to move one of her eggs were I want to relocate her nesting area, which is close to 50'. It's in the shade and it's closer to our coop and run area.

Couldn't have said it better.

Quote:
The OP doesn't want to integrate due to the age difference of the birds and the inherent problems associated with that. The bird is a hen as the OP has stated that it is producing eggs.. While the OP is rightfully reluctant to integrate (possible damage to his younger birds, disease, neighborhood knows the bird belongs to the neighbor, not to mention that the neighbor's behavior may be affected by drugs), he is still taking care of and meeting this hens basic needs. While the hen may be lonely, the OP's first concern must be for their current flock.. That's just my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion Remuda1 however I was only confused by where the hen was roosting at night. Out in the open was what I was envisioning...I also respect the decision of the " OP " to not integrate if he or she feels fit. My only concern at the time was the safety of the poor hen being that the other Rooster was killed by predators. My other advice to you is that you let the Author answer their own questions from now on. That would have been nice. Thanks.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom