Nevadans?

Quote:
frow.gif
& Welcome to the Nevada thread! I love my 2 BR's, they are very docile and funny. I always do business with Green's Feed on North Virginia across from the Bonanza. I pay $17 for a 40 lb bag of layer's pellets there and I looked at Wal-Mart and they have it cheaper so you might want to go there for your feed. The NW Wal-Mart does not carry the feed but others do. I also give them treats of cracked corn and a 50 lb bag is less than $8 at Wal-Mart. I also ordered my chicks from them they use Privett hatchery for their chick orders and I haven't had any issues with the chicks I have. I fed my chicks on the medicated starter until they were 3 months old and then I changed to Flock Raiser before switching to Layer's pellets. I was very surprised how easy it was changing the ladies over to the pellets. I made them think it was treats and they ate it up so now that's all I feed is the pellets. There are a lot of people on here who is our Wiki when it comes to chickens. Most of us are new to chickens and a lot of us are Professor's.

Bella gained an ounce finally, she had lost 4 ounces from Friday through Tuesday and I kept on feeding her but yesterday I was very happy when I saw she actually gained an ounce but we still have a long ways to go. One of the things she eats up are mealworms and they are full of protein. I think she was tired of the egg yolks but I still feed her them. Her limp is still there but not as bad as the other day.

Sunny, the goats are well but still really skittish
sad.png
it is SOOOOO funny to watch them play together!
I will talk to mark about going in on some of that grass for the goat pen
smile.png

I like to work with Green's Feed. The prices are a little higher, but the staff is amazing. We've gone in there loads of times asking questions about goats/pigs/chickens, even dogs and cats, and they ahvent failed us yet. They also have an adorable hay boy.
big_smile.png

If you have a small flock, I think youre not supposed to get them vaccinated, but Im not entirely sure. As for medicated feed, take it or leave it. I dont like using it, and my chicks do fine on nonmedicated chick feed.
Ron, see what you did? Now everyone is wanting that grass. The company is going to get a bunch of orders from reno and wonder what happened.
lol.png

Last edited:
ajlynco,
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you came over to the NV thread! I have gone to Green's Feed so far and liked it. The staff was very helpful on my one and only visit. I'm sure I will be there many more times in the future.

Quote:
Glad to hear Bella gained a bit!
thumbsup.gif

No rain last evening, thankfully, so I finally got the back wall of the coop framed. I had to finish up using a flash light.

Elizabeth

Quote:
I agree. I have been to almost all of the feed stores in Reno and refuse to go to many of them ever again. However greens feed has ALWAYS provided me with a pleasant experience. I have been to feed world once also and so far they seem nice. Sierra feed on south Virginia would be my last choice. They are inexperienced, rude, and bad at business. All in all I'd rather shop at any feed store than walmart (sorry cheryl!!!!!!!) because I think it's worth the extra couple of dollars to support our local businesses, especially right now

ETA:GO TEAM BELLA!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree. I have been to almost all of the feed stores in Reno and refuse to go to many of them ever again. However greens feed has ALWAYS provided me with a pleasant experience. I have been to feed world once also and so far they seem nice. Sierra feed on south Virginia would be my last choice. They are inexperienced, rude, and bad at business. All in all I'd rather shop at any feed store than walmart (sorry cheryl!!!!!!!) because I think it's worth the extra couple of dollars to support our local businesses, especially right now

You don't go to Wal-Mart?
th.gif
smack.gif
I buy my feed from Green's Feed too Aubrey even though Wally World is cheaper because of their service and I won't change my mind on that either but the question was where to get cheap feed, all is good though. Now where can I buy a lot more mealworms than PetSmart? Their largest container only holds 35 worms and Bella ate 4 container's yesterday.

Quote:

You don't go to Wal-Mart?
th.gif
smack.gif
I buy my feed from Green's Feed too Aubrey even though Wally World is cheaper because of their service and I won't change my mind on that either but the question was where to get cheap feed, all is good though. Now where can I buy a lot more mealworms than PetSmart? Their largest container only holds 35 worms and Bella ate 4 container's yesterday.

I have no clue but I've been wondering the sane thing! I LOve watching my girls play keep-away with them

Wal-Mart feed may be cheaper but you get what you pay for. I think their bags are only 40 lbs., not 50. Also, if you look at the ingredients they aren't as good as the feed store - e.g., not as high protein. At least that was the case with the pig feed, so I never even bothered to look at the chicken feed.

There is someone on Craigslist that sells mealworms in large lots. Also, our very own Eglyntine raises worms and I believe she has offered them for sale, too.

I think I should get a commission from that seed company, eh Lacey?
lol.png

Quote:
gig.gif
Sure I'll do them but then I won't give you the answers cause you need to learn them!
tongue2.gif

Hi ajlynco! Welcome to the Nevada thread!
frow.gif
Love both the BRs and RIRs. Great layers.
Ok about vaccinations. I do not usually vaccinate because I do not live close to any large flocks. Many of these diseases are airborn so if you do live close to a large flock I would suggest you have them vaccinated. Now medicated feed vs. nonmedicated. I was reading a report not too long ago about the problems associated with medicated feed. Just like us humans chickens have reacted negatively to too much medication. The studies done used 2 groups of chickens. 1 group was fed the medicated starter feed the other group was fed the non medicated starter feed. When both groups were at 6 months different diseases were introduced (I know, poor chickens) and the chickens that were NOT medicated showed better resistance to a wide variety of diseases whereas the medicated group showed a much weakened immune system. The medicated feed does protect against Coccidiosis but adding a coccidiostat to the water during spotty outbreaks was also effective and adult birds that are exposed to this will develop an immunity after suffering a mild outbreak.
Unfortunately you can find just as many articles that are strongly for the use of medicated starter as there are articles against. What it all boils down to is it is entirely up to you to decide what works best for your little flock. Personally I am switching to the non-medicated starter with my new breeding program so in about 5 years I'll let you know how it all worked out.
lol.png

Oh, almost forgot feed stores! I use Green's Feed as well.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom