Nevadans?

Quote:
woot.gif
I was just thinking about you and hoping all was ok
ya.gif

Yes, I still have him and a bunch of others depending upon what you like. Ex. I have two who look like Marilyn - deep blue with red leakage, muffs/beard - bit one has more EE/Ameraucana body shape/style while the other has more of an Orpish body. Also have younger ones color up nicely too.

Thanks everyone for the coop compliments!
big_smile.png

laceynoelle I'm a Raiders fan, too
hide.gif
- which is why I also prefer NASCAR these days. Who's your driver? I like #29 Kevin Harvick. Don't much care for the Chase, though. I liked it the way it was before.
rant.gif

Eglyntine sorry to hear about your coop location issues. I hope the new area works out for you! I thought you had 5 Black Stars?

Here's a pic of the inside of my coop, looking forward toward the run where the nest boxes are. You can sort of see the "skylight".

58980_nestboxes.jpg

This is the design I used, with some modification (made it twice as wide). It's from the Purina website.

58980_coopsideview.gif

58980_coopfrontview.gif

ke_ben - Those are beautiful eggs! I'm very impressed at the size of your Ameraucana pullet eggs! Nice! Any ideas which of your Marans laid those dark chocolate-y beauties? Cuckoo...BC...that gorgeous splash that you need to send me?
big_smile.png
Haven't heard from evonne forever...

shanyalv - Congrats on the incubator and new coop,but sorry about your TJ eggs. What breeds are you expecting out of your local eggs? Did you post more pics of your chickens elsewhere?

Knemeyer - Good luck with your roo. Remind me...did you get him from a feed store?

Penturner - Awesome hatch rate on the last batch...good luck on the next!

NevadaRon - Nice coop and run. Thanks for posting those plans. They're awesome.

OK, I love motorcycles as much as the next person....but the noise is driving me crazy!!!! We live in South Reno and the motorcycles have been non-stop up and down Geiger Grade all day.
Thanks for letting me rant...
sad.png
I'll try to focus on the positive effect on our local economy for the rest of the weekend.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yeah I thought I had 5 as well but I mis-counted. The first week they were here they moved around so much I kept counting the same one twice I guess. Complete airhead moment and when I realized I did not have 5 I felt like a complete idiot. They have turned out to be really affectionate chickens after they got settled in though so I am glad that I did not re-home them. We started giving the chickens names finally and that has helped tremendously with keeping track of everyone.
smile.png

I use hay for my nests and chicken run and I will be using it for inside the coop as well. I was wondering if anyone else uses hay and if you do where you get it and how much do you pay? I got a really good deal on 10 bales for $3/ea last month but they are all out and I am almost out myself. I would really rather not pay $6 to $10 a bale when I am only using it for ground cover so any help you guys could provide me would be awesome.
smile.png

Good Morning!!!

NevadaRon - Love your coop & property! Really wish we could sell our house and purchase some property (I want 10 acres, dh would be okay with 5). My family in Louisiana had 38 acres sold most of it but still have over 5 acres. They have 4 homes on it but do not keep any livestock and don't garden - it makes me crazy!
he.gif
What I would do with the soil, water, and land they have!

Laceynoelle: I would love to try your jambalya receipe!
big_smile.png
Never appologize! If you do something well, be proud! I make great red beans and rice but I have a hard time making roux - my sister though makes a great roux!

Sunny - thinking of you....
hugs.gif

Genny - the gals are still looking good! I keep thinking Sassy is going to give me an egg soon... Do you think they will start laying eventhough we are slipping into shorter days and they haven't started yet?
hu.gif
When I got them (early August) they would go into the coop around 8:15. Now they are marching in around 7:00!

Ke ben - beautiful eggs! I love the BCM eggs - if I could talk the dh into one more hen, it would be a BCM.
smile.png

Eglyntine - I'm going to buy one bale of straw for the winter just to put over the snow so the chickens have something warm to walk on. My neighbor only has 3 hens, so we will split the cost of a bale. I am going to wait til late October or Early November to buy it. I have pine shavings in my coop.

How 'bout those Saints?
celebrate.gif
Exciting game - dh is a long time 49ers fan. He got home from work to catch the last half of the game. They used to play against each other in November around my birthday. We went to one game for my birthday it was alot of fun!

Does anyone use light in their coop for the winter? I was thinking of adding light with a timer for the winter.

Hope everyone has a great weekend - Watch out for all of the bikes out there! They can really come up on you quickly...

carol

Quote:
No, I got the EE's from My Pet Chicken. I got my Silver Laced Polish (might be bearded) and the Sultan from Jones Feed. I had someone call to see him last night and never showed up. I can understand if you can't make it, but at least call so I'm not just sitting there waiting. Weird, huh?

Kim

Carol - She should be starting any day. Sometimes they are not sure what is going on and will lay while roosting (these are usually cleaned up before you see them if broken). The last two days I have seen a new egg in the coop she came from - so some one, not sure who, is starting - one was leathery and broke, the other was little with a cracked shell. I let them clean them up, not worried cause the have marked eggs in the nest box they are not breaking/eating. Being young, their hormones tend to push them into lay even with shorter hours - if they are well fed and healthy, like your girls. How does her comb look?

They sure are light aware!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom