Nevadans?

OK I promised Vegas Chick a pic of the waterer. I got the drinking cup waterers from ebay. They came with pipe connectors but I didn't use them. We just wrapped the threads with teflon tape and screwed them into the holes we predrilled into the food grade barrels (make sure the drilled holes are smaller than the OD of the threads, you can always make the hole larger but once you go too big you're in trouble). The barrels were $20 at the surplus store. They have white or blue. I got blue cause I didn't want to have to worry about algae growth and the white barrels let too much light in. Excuse the dirty blanket on top. We have been covering them on super cold nights figuring that would slow down heat loss.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the cup waterers are trigger activated. The chickens have to hit the lever inside the cup to break the seal for a moment to get water to flow into the cup. They figured this out by themselves immediately though. I thought we might have to show them how to use them but they ran right over and in a few seconds had it down pat.

Sunny! Thanks so much! What a great setup! I love it. I think I'd like to try something like this for my Utah/Summer coop setup. I'm using 5 gal. bucket waterers with chicken nipples there but they are white and in the summer sun all day and the algae growth is just overwhelming. I'd try this here but hate to consider how I'd get ice into it in the early/late summer to cool down the water, plus the size is a bit prohibitive here as well.

I was just coming on to share a pic. We're over the moon in love with her!
Introduced Kate to the farm, she stopped dead, turned and ran when she saw the horses but was fine when I put them nose to nose. She cried when she couldn't figure out how to get in with me and the chickens. She's snug in her crate with no objections. Been a long time since we've had a puppy....I know she's just exhausted from the long drive but so far so good!

Awwwwwww!
love.gif

I could probably do something on Thursday the 6th, if you just want me. If you have stuff for the family, then this Saturday the 1st would work.

Thank you! And thanks to everyone else who complimented them but I didn't respond earlier.

It's putting up more fence so whatever you think. Not much for the kids to do but they sure seem to enjoy playing with the puppies or walking the property.
And you're welcome.

Introduced Kate to the farm, she stopped dead, turned and ran when she saw the horses but was fine when I put them nose to nose. She cried when she couldn't figure out how to get in with me and the chickens. She's snug in her crate with no objections. Been a long time since we've had a puppy....I know she's just exhausted from the long drive but so far so good!
OH! She is ADORABLE!!! How precious!
love.gif

Oops another blank quote...

You're welcome. Good luck with whatever system you choose.

We sure would love to have you for the cookie exchange.  I hope you can come.
Aren't GSDs the best?  So smart and so great around kids.  Mine are the worst watch dogs ever though.  They even like the UPS guy.  lol  I thought all dogs hated delivery drivers.  Folks don't even honk when they drive up for us to put the dogs away.  They all say they can tell they're friendly.  lol   Well at least they protect us from four legged predators.

I have a GSD/Miniature Australian Shepherd. He is so sweet and handsome and very mellow. But if someone shows up on the front porch that doesn't live there, wow. His neck and back hairs stand up and he has quite the bark.

Your puppy is sooooo cute!

GAH! This thing won't let me quote!

Missy, that pumpkin challah sounds heavenly! and the griddle fried dough with cream cheese sounds yummy! :drool

Sunny when is the cookie exchange agian?
December 8th, weather permitting.

I have a GSD/Miniature Australian Shepherd. He is so sweet and handsome and very mellow. But if someone shows up on the front porch that doesn't live there, wow. His neck and back hairs stand up and he has quite the bark.
I wish mine were better watch dogs but they just aren't. I think your dog is more the norm for shepherds. All the shepherds I've had in the past were easy going with family and folks that were with us but they were terrors when a stranger tried to come in the yard. People keep telling me that they would react differently if anyone threatened us. I hope that's true.

Hey guys,
This is a cool link. Its about a family in Pasadena on 1/5 acre who started a homestead. Their garden is impressive!!
I couldn't get through the whole video. It is really long. Well with my connection anyway, which shows me 4 seconds of video and then loads for 20 seconds. Funny but this seems so normal to me. I never thought of growing your own food as a revolution or even a revelation. When I was 8 we moved to a farm and the veggies were just sooo much better tasting that I had always grown my own ever since for the better taste. I admit it was a much easier venture in CA though. I could grow crops year round in San Jose. I am still trying to figure out how to grow stuff here in NV. It is definitely more challenging! They do have a beautiful garden. There are a lot of videos on that page about gardens and homesteads. I'd love to explore them all when I have time.

Speaking of being self sustaining, I need to get my crested wheatgrass seed in tomorrow! We have a large storm coming in with lots of rain due and not a lot of wind is expected. Perfect conditions for giving my seed a great start. Hopefully the wind doesn't get bad and the grass seed stays put. We plan to get a couple of calves next spring and want to have some grass in before we move them onto the property. I am very excited to be raising my own beef. There's nothing like it! This is not for profit, although we are raising 2 calves to help offset the cost of the one we are raising for our needs. Cattle also do better with at least 2 animals, otherwise they get lonely.

Aubrey I am craving some Bibos Earl Grey tea badly!!! What do you guys put in that stuff? I swear I am addicted now! Do you sell it for home brewing? I need to buy a few boxes of it. It's sooo delicious!

Funny but this seems so normal to me. I never thought of growing your own food as a revolution or even a revelation.

We plan to get a couple of calves next spring and want to have some grass in before we move them onto the property. I am very excited to be raising my own beef. There's nothing like it! This is not for profit, although we are raising 2 calves to help offset the cost of the one we are raising for our needs. Cattle also do better with at least 2 animals, otherwise they get lonely.

I agree that it's not a revolution for us. It's returning to the way we were raised, a way that just makes SENSE! If you can't make it by depending on other people, start depending more on yourself.

Cattle!!!!!
bow.gif
Do you mind if I live vicariously through you? Cattle are in our distant... distant... very distant future. Maybe by the time our kids are raised, we can do cattle.
fl.gif
And I think raising a second to offset the cost of the first is a GENIUS idea! You know, the kind that just make sense?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom