Never stop!!!!!

Do you know how to teach chickens to use a nipple feeder? we made them one a while ago, but they just wont learn it no matter how hard we pecked and showed them...

I taught mine to use a horizontal nipple waterer by wedging a mealworm under each pin daily for a week (when they took it they would discover that it was wet there). Then I started taking the open waterer out at night and not putting it back until later and later in the day.

However, I was VERY CAREFUL about this step because it was midsummer with nighttime lows in the 70's and daytime highs in the mid-to-upper-90's.

After I had seen several of them use the nipples I took the open waterer out, but I watched carefully to ensure that they were all getting water for the next several days.

In hot weather I have two watering stations even for only 5 hens.

I taught mine to use a horizontal nipple waterer by wedging a mealworm under each pin daily for a week (when they took it they would discover that it was wet there). Then I started taking the open waterer out at night and not putting it back until later and later in the day.

However, I was VERY CAREFUL about this step because it was midsummer with nighttime lows in the 70's and daytime highs in the mid-to-upper-90's.

After I had seen several of them use the nipples I took the open waterer out, but I watched carefully to ensure that they were all getting water for the next several days.

oh! I got to try that! Thanks so much! I think i will just remove their waterer and replace it with the nipple feeder for an hour every day and place the mealworms? do you think that may work? and then of course slowly take it out

oh! I got to try that! Thanks so much! I think i will just remove their waterer and replace it with the nipple feeder for an hour every day and place the mealworms? do you think that may work? and then of course slowly take it out

No, place the mealworms first -- replacing them several times a day until the chickens have learned that the nipples are wet. Do this for a week.

Never leave chickens without water unless you know that they are aware that water exists in the alternate waterer.

Yes, it was before they had food or water. We have a water bucket connected to a hose where they get their water. So yes, unfortunately, I did not see this yesterday and the chickens did not have water nor food all day yesterday :( I will let them out today.

By the way, I let them out, fed them, gave them water, I started by giving them 10-15 cups of fermented feed so that will keep them hydrated...thats all the fermented feed (should I ferment more?) Also, their crops have emptied... @Wyorp Rock was correct! Now I feel bad for not giving them water :( Now I know!
I'm glad to hear it's going better!:)

It's o.k.! We all have a lot of things to learn, I think no harm was done. Keep at it. You will find what works for your flock, environment and time schedule. We all do things differently that's for sure - the main thing is that they have access to fresh food and water during waking hours. Even if you need to separate a bird that you are concerned about, make water available for them.

As for grit - I too like to provide it free choice. Fairly cheap and a large bag will last a good while. I have Gamefowl Hens and chicks that free range during the day and I'm sure they probably find what they need, but I still supply them with grit too. Penned/cooped birds I always provide grit.

Same thing with oyster shell - give free choice.

Better to err on the side of caution when possible. Sometimes we do have to watch our budget so keep that in mind too:)

Thanks! thats the one thats at our feed store, although we want one that will be big enough to feed our flock for a week?! in the future so that we can go on vacation (my dad will stay to watch them, but I doubt he will feed them correctly. I love your little shed for feed and water!
I LOVE this feeder. It holds a whole bag of food and while they do occasionally scratch some feed out, it isn't much. It can be outside or inside. You can order these from Tractor Supply. My local one is a small one. You may be able to find them in stock in the bigger stores.

Attachments

• 20201030_152721.jpg
    20201030_152721.jpg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 5

I LOVE the water nipples also!! All mine from newborn to older can and have successfully used the nipples. Even the ducks learned from the Chickens. (I didn't teach the ducks as they need to dunk their heads to clear their nostrils, but they can be found drinking from them even when they have PLENTY of dunking water available.)

I'm glad to hear it's going better!:)

It's o.k.! We all have a lot of things to learn, I think no harm was done. Keep at it. You will find what works for your flock, environment and time schedule. We all do things differently that's for sure - the main thing is that they have access to fresh food and water during waking hours. Even if you need to separate a bird that you are concerned about, make water available for them.

As for grit - I too like to provide it free choice. Fairly cheap and a large bag will last a good while. I have Gamefowl Hens and chicks that free range during the day and I'm sure they probably find what they need, but I still supply them with grit too. Penned/cooped birds I always provide grit.

Same thing with oyster shell - give free choice.

Better to err on the side of caution when possible. Sometimes we do have to watch our budget so keep that in mind too:)
Thanks for all those who helped me in this thread. It is greatly appreciated. Today I fed the chickens 10 cups of food in the morning (in bowls: we should be going to the store and buying a few feeders and grit stations soon). By 11:00am when I went to check, they had been eating for about 4-5 hours (I fed them at 6:30am). And there was about 4-5 cups left! I am so grateful for all of you! we have found a solution. So thanks!

Another questions for those who feed all-flock:

What type of feed do you buy for all-flock...is it basically grower feed?
What brand?

Back
Top Bottom