New and Getting Chicks Tomorrow

3sacrowd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Hi,

We are new to the chicken groups and are just getting our first babies tomorrow. We are getting three polish (two for a friend), then on Wednesday we will get an Ameraucauna, a Buff Orpington, and a Barred Rock, on Thursday we are getting a Buckeye and a Black Copper Maran. Is anyone willing to comment on whether or not these breeds will be happy together? The chicks are spaced out because we are getting them from different sources. We found a breeder for Polish, a grange for the Wednesday group, and a breeder for the Buckeye and the Black Copper Maran.

Any wisdom you can share is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kandi

Mom to 3 kids and one fish.... Chicks on the way!

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas!!

I'm pretty new at this, too, so I can't really offer advice. Good luck, though!!!

I think you have a nice of selection of chicks! I haven't raised them, but I have heard the Polish need a little bit more care (their head feathers may attract unwanted attention from the others, etc.). Your breeder can help you with this or a Polish breeder may comment on this forum. The rest should all have nice temperaments and make for a happy flock. Enjoy your chicks and welcome!
jumpy.gif

N&MSchroeder :

I think you have a nice of selection of chicks! I haven't raised them, but I have heard the Polish need a little bit more care (their head feathers may attract unwanted attention from the others, etc.). Your breeder can help you with this or a Polish breeder may comment on this forum. The rest should all have nice temperaments and make for a happy flock. Enjoy your chicks and welcome!
jumpy.gif

Agreed! I have to separate my polish from the rest of my flock. Apparently, they don't understand their crests. Anyway, the others look to make a nice smelting pot of breeds!​

Thanks! We got our first Polish this morning. She is named Pearl and we are just smitten with her. Tomorrow we will be getting the Buff Orpington, the Barred Rock, and the Ameraucauna. My daughter says it's awesome having chickens. Now she won't get bored and lonely.
smile.png

Kandi

Back
Top Bottom