New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Pics
Im looking for show quality brahmas. I live in east Tennessee and have no color preference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Im looking for show quality brahmas. I live in east Tennessee and have no color preference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well, then you don't want chicks, then, right? You can't determine that at chick age. And you'll want other than my Partridge variety since these cannot be shown in the U.S. currently, though, if they were an accepted color in this country, I'm sure these would be. Unless you just want good quality birds, not necessarily to show.

I'm not sure who has what you want; I'm out of the loop on a lot of breeders these days. Anyone else know someone with what Trooper Man is looking for?
@Sjisty
@junebuggena You ladies know someone for Trooper Man close to East TN?

Well, then you don't want chicks, then, right? You can't determine that at chick age. And you'll want other than my Partridge variety since these cannot be shown in the U.S. currently, though, if they were an accepted color in this country, I'm sure these would be. Unless you just want good quality birds, not necessarily to show.

I'm not sure who has what you want; I'm out of the loop on a lot of breeders these days. Anyone else know someone with what Trooper Man is looking for?
@Sjisty
@junebuggena You ladies know someone for Trooper Man close to East TN?
I would be very happy with partridge brahmas. Sorry when I said show quality I just meant not your typical hatchery quality that you see a lot of now days. I am looking for that size and quality in the fowl. I went to the unifour poultry show today and was hoping to luck out on someone showing up with some nice brahmas but there were none. I will not be showing these chickens, but I want something nice and something to be proud of.

I would be very happy with partridge brahmas. Sorry when I said show quality I just meant not your typical hatchery quality that you see a lot of now days. I am looking for that size and quality in the fowl. I went to the unifour poultry show today and was hoping to luck out on someone showing up with some nice brahmas but there were none. I will not be showing these chickens, but I want something nice and something to be proud of.

Okay, I was wondering if that's what you meant.
smile.png

I may have four chicks when my broodies are done with them, the ones shown in theses pictures. I have hatching eggs now if you're interested in picking them up or meeting me somewhere around here. I'm about 12 miles east of the TN/NC/GA juncture.

Last edited:
If anyone is local to the TN/GA/NC tri-state area, I have a dozen BRs and a dozen Brahma eggs ready to go.

I put a saddle on Betsy just now. Bash was mating her and mating her....and mating her. I just went in and plucked him off her. He had this dazed, "Huh-what?" look on his face and she was on the floor and not getting up. I picked her up and went to the back, grabbed a saddle off the hook and on it went. He pulled out a lot of her feathers today. Bailey and B.J. are not given as much attention or they refuse it more. And with Brandy and Bonnie raising chicks, he has only the three at the moment.

I tried to get the broodies together today. They have been in the same little coop but one is in the big dog cage and the other free in the coop. Bonnie just wants to fight with Brandy. They are not hostile to the other's chicks, but Bonnie is too cantankerous right now and a little one will get hurt. When the chicks are larger, I'll take the mamas and let them duke it out and decide who is in charge then put them back.

From the Hector pen, it's Hector over Jill and Rowena. Apollo is over Athena and Zara. I'd like to switch Athena with Zara, but have had too many hassles lately to even try that again.

Last edited:
Love those Brahmas. I'm looking for a dark cock if anyone knows of some available.

Welcome to BYC! I don't know who has one. In my hatch, only one Dark hatched and it was a pullet so no males to offer.

ETA: On the broody front, I put up the larger dog crate (Great Dane size) in the barn and moved Bonnie in there with her three chicks, left Brandy in the old bantam coop with her five. Brandy would get along, but Bonnie just wants to fight so I thought if they were going to be that way, no need for one to be stuck in the crate inside the little bantam coop, which takes room away from the other as well. Sigh.

Last edited:
As I try to recall my Partridge sexing rules, I took photos of the week-and-a-half old Brahma chicks today that are now showing wings. Two are round butterballs and have an even fringe of wing feathers, very patterned. The third chick has flight feathers coming in faster than the rest of the wing feathers and is more narrow-bodied than the other two. Would be nice if I had two pullets.

The one that is different is to the right, but that's pretty obvious.

And the older one with Bonnie, two-and-a-half weeks old.

Last edited:
The chicks and mommas are looking great!! Will you be keeping most of these, if they are pullets?

I'm not sure. I only have them because of the two unexpected broodies, so that is to be determined.

I remembered one of the sexing rules yesterday-if the shoulder feathers, not wings, are patterned, it's likely a pullet; if solid, a cockerel. It's been awhile since I had to think about sexing chicks of this color pattern.

Back
Top Bottom