New chick cant lift its head

stitch_b

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 28, 2011
Hi guys

Im not sure what to do here...I just hatched a chick that doesn't seem to be able to lift its head. The chick is a few hours old and still in the incubator. Its chirping and trying to stand but it doesn't seem to be able to lift its head. What if anything can/should be done for the lil guy?

Last edited:
Just let it rest, it should be OK
D.gif

Quote:
Ok thanks for the reply I was just a little worried... I guess well see how its doing in the morning. Hopefully he'll pull through. Does he stay in the bator for now or should I move him to the brooder?

just leave her in the incubator until fully alert, it can take several hours. Some are born ready to go and others take along time to get going! good luck:cd

Quote:
Ok thanks again! This is my first hatch if you can't tell lol the others just seemed to pop out and flop around till they got their feet so I wasn't sure! That does make me feel better though. Well see how it goes. Ill update in the morning!

So this morning the little guy is still not able to stand or lift his head. Before I left for church he was sleeping but it seems like its having a tough time breathing. I was able to get him to drink a few drops of water from my finger tip last night. What do I do? Is there anything I need to give him? Ugh just waiting is so hard
hmm.png
any help would definitely be appreciated... im heading to TSC right after service for some save-a-chick and whateverr else you guys think will help. Thanks again

Last edited:
Anyone?! I don't know what to do...we've been tryings to give him Gatorade but im not seeing any improvement. It doesn't even chirp anymore...is there anything I can do or do we just watch it die?

Okay, I know time is critical for you so I did a search to see what answers people got in the past when they had this problem. Here is a post where they talked about this problem https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=357784

Sorry
sweety, about your chick. You can do these things and I really hope for the best for your little one. Remember though all you can do is your best. If your little passes there might be something wrong with him or her. Maybe by doing these things if it is just week then maybe he will perk up. If not then their is probably something really wrong with it. I am new to these chicken thing but, I would be careful and not give it to much water or food at one time. I would keep in mind it probably has a tiny tummy. I hope everything goes well.

Good luck,
Michelle

Quote:
Thank you so much for the link I ran to the store as fast as I could and got some polyvisol. But idk if I got back in time. He took 2 drops but he's having such a hard time breathing. Like each breath is very shallow but its a struggle for each one...im losing hope
hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom