New chick has stiff, curled toes; trouble walking

This could be caused by the malposition, or an injury after hatch.

But it could also be caused by a vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency. I would give vitamin electrolyte water immediately to try to correct the deficiency, as it is possible to reverse it if caught early. It won't hurt at least.

It could have been caused by a deficiency in the parents as well. Even something as simple as feed that was stored too long can cause it.

Even if its an injury, you have some time to try to correct it (or have a vet attempt to correct it). If you try the foot brace route, you'll have to inspect it and adjust every two or three days, as chicks grow so fast.

Pics definitely would help though. But try the vitamin water. Several hatcheries sell the mix as well as feed stores.
My guess would be the malposition because his hatch was assisted---he couldn't get out on his own. The feet were curled like this since the moment he came out of his egg. He's getting much better at navigating though. Little dude's already trying to run. :)

I had a little hen with this same problem. Videos are really helpful, and I fashioned little shoes out of cardboard and tape
Can't attach photos or videos here because of the issue with my phone storage but rest assured I've shared them with IRL chicken friends. :) No sign of injury; just misshapen, stiff toes. They're too stiff for the little shoes... all the trouble of getting them on, and they curled right back up! I don't know what my next plan of action will be, because I don't want to be too forceful on his toes and a brace doesn't keep them straight. For now he's getting around fine and I don't want to risk making things worse.

He’s probably splayed. I am sorry:hitHope he gets better!!!;)
I don't believe it's splay leg since he came out of the egg like this. The toes are still curled but he's upright and toddling about the brooder with his brothers and sisters, getting around as well as you'd expect a new baby chick to. Thank you though, I hope so as well!

Can't attach photos or videos here because of the issue with my phone storage but rest assured I've shared them with IRL chicken friends. :) No sign of injury; just misshapen, stiff toes. They're too stiff for the little shoes... all the trouble of getting them on, and they curled right back up! I don't know what my next plan of action will be, because I don't want to be too forceful on his toes and a brace doesn't keep them straight. For now he's getting around fine and I don't want to risk making things worse.
I’m sure he’ll live a happy life either way. I have a DIFFERENT hen who’s toes weren’t staying put, just like your little guy’s, they’re still curled up and look broken, but they don’t cause her any pain and she gets around just fine!

I’m sure he’ll live a happy life either way. I have a DIFFERENT hen who’s toes weren’t staying put, just like your little guy’s, they’re still curled up and look broken, but they don’t cause her any pain and she gets around just fine!
62CC43B7-2361-46C6-9970-167109EAAC69.jpeg

This is her

Good news!

No more shoes for little mister Ganymede... way too stubborn, the toes were too stiff to flatten and I found the risks to be greater than the reward. He could walk fine (for a new chick) and I decided to let him be, and we could start physical therapy at a later time if need be.

As of today, his toes have almost completely corrected by themselves. Still a tiny bit curly and crooked, but aside from some occasional stumbles and preening trouble he is doing just fine. He's only getting better and I expect he will only continue to improve.

He's even learning to run and hop like his big brother and sister. The running is a bit tragic, looks a lot like a human toddler who just learned to walk (or waddle)... but we'll get there! :lol:

Thank you to everyone who offered advice and reassurance!

:weeThat's awesome news! I'm so glad to hear his toes are correcting themselves and he is so active and loves to move around and is able to keep up with his siblings - YAY!

Well done :thumbsup

Another very happy update! :lol:

Little Ganymede is SO active now. His toes are completely flat (though still a bit crooked). He eats and drinks like a champ and wants to copy everything he sees his big siblings doing. He loves to peck at the others' feet... I like to think it's because he's jealous of their normal toes. 🤣 He's the tiniest of the 3, but he definitely stands his ground!

Here's a video of him having a little run around the brooder: https://youtube.com/shorts/54Hx5lNDj0Y?feature=share

Back
Top Bottom