New chicken lady!!!

jennjenn6

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
Eugene, OR
So, the last month my husband and I talked about starting a small flock for our backyard. We live in town and can have 4 +1 for every 1,000 sq ft of lot (ours is a little over 5,000- so essentially 5 ladies). We got a "house" from a guy for $75 off craigslist. We put it up off the ground and painted it red/white. And built a portable tractor for the front yard that will be stray dog/cat safe for them. We got 7 babies in case there were any casualties. If not we can downsize by 2 once I know their personalities. We ended up with 2 Australorps, 2 giant Barred Cochin (1 golden, 1 black),1 Golden sex link, 1 Black Copper Maran, 1 Mottled Java. We set up the brooder box in the coop with heat lamps etc. They have done wonderful out there, even when temps get low. no drafts and good ventilation under the eaves of the roof. Anyhow, having fun learning. This site has been the most amazing thing to learn from ever!! I don't really have any in-town predators except stray dogs which can't get into my backyard over the fence. How long do you let your hens free range? I may use the tractor for them since it sits flush up against the front door on days I can't be home to watch them, that way I know they are safe. Any tips? (here's the before and after)

Here are some chick pics! This is JoJo the Cochin. Love her. It was cold out so we sat in the car and hung out.

Here is my Copper Maran. Haven't named her yet

This is so funny to me. I put a little sandbox in for them and they were all checking it out but no one would go in. Once JoJo did they all went rushing in there to get in it. An hour later I checked on them and they were all napping in it!

And here is Bean my Mottled Java

So cute
love.gif
. I like the car idea too...I'll have to remember that

I like them all but Bean is a cutie! What a neat idea about the sand box.

JoJo has my vote! LoL So cute and FLUFFY! OOOOooooohhh, and look at that face! Who wouldn't love that face! LOL
Adorable! :)
Congrats on the new babies! :)

Thanks
love.gif
I've been having so much fun with them! And my girls have been really enjoying the experience too. I have a mini van so when the seats are folded down I have a lot of room to sit and have one-on-one time. We actually took them out of the "box" today. I lined the coop with the pine shavings and have two lights in one area. They have been absolutely thrilled. I gave a blade of grass to one and the olympics were on... It keeps it a nice 65-70 in there with it being hotter near the lamps. Warmer then my house is right now! I'm so glad I decided to do babies instead of older hens, I'm loving everything I'm learning about them. No pasty butt's so far either! I can't believe how much they've grown in a week. Here's my "work" from today

Once they are bigger that table will be set up with board across and the nesting boxes on top. I had to run chicken wire across the back so I didn't have any "escapees" at this young age. I can take it down later though. I only keep one lamp on during the day when the light comes in, but it's still chilly here at night so I'm using the two so they can spread out a little.

Back
Top Bottom