**New Chicken Owner**5-6 week old chicken - sitting and limping alot

Lora Lang

Hatching
Oct 20, 2017
NorthWest Arkansas
We just recently were gifted 4 chickens (new chicken owners) and the woman who gave them to us didn't know what kind they were. She took them to a Tractor Supply and they told her that 2 of them (they are solid white) were meat chickens and that their body usually gets to big for their legs.
He said they usually don't live more than 8 weeks and they get butchered. The two just started sitting ALOT and will sit to eat and just constantly sit. They started limping two days ago. Do you guys think this is lining up with what the guy at TS said? I can't butcher my sweet little girls but I have no idea what to do. Is there any way I can save them or should I find someone to butcher them?

The girls are 5-6 weeks we think and are significantly larger than the other two we have.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow Can you post a picture and tell me what they've been eating, specifically % protein? If they are CX you're likely going to need to find someone—but let's not jump to conclusions just yet.

When we grow CXs, we focus on a strain that is a bit slower growing. We feed them an 18% protein feed to help slow growth, and we put water and food as far apart as we can to make them exercise. We give them the amount of food they can consume in 30-45 minutes twice per day (adjusted weekly) and we move them to fresh grass every morning. I'll use a very limited number of treats to get them running around every day as well. I've also found that adding a single flighty breed of chick to their shelter will aide in exercise.

We are feeding them 24% starter food and a bit of 5 grain scratch. I feed them a lot of dried mill worms because it makes them come hang out with me. (I'm new at this lol) My girls are free ranging yet until we get them used to our dog but we have a good size are for them although it has no grass in it. This is the best photo I have right now. I will take more if needed. This picture is a few days before the limping and more frequent sitting started. The tail is always down now.

Attachments

• 20171020_122201.jpg
    20171020_122201.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm sorry to say that it's a CX. The reason we want them to exercise and give them lower protein feed is to help the bones develop before they get too heavy. At this point, they are going to get more and more lethargic as their legs can't handle the body weight.

I have a friend who managed to keep some for over three years and there are several out here on BYC who have successfully kept them and bread them—they do not reproduce true. Folks who have done that started with a slower growing strain of the bird, restricted feed and forced exercise. Most have also had a high mortality rate, with only a few making it to the long run. This bird was designed to reach a desired, uniform weight within 6-8 weeks with two pounds of feed for every pound of body weight, using an 18% ration.

I'm so sorry, and know its a tough decision—but you can make them as comfortable as possible and enjoy their remaining time (likely measured in days or weeks) or see if you can get them processed. The guy at TSC should have also warned to use a lower protein feed for them. Again, I'm so sorry.

There are a lot of theories, but generally comes down to heart or liver failure. Along with the bones not maturing to handle the load, the internal organs fall behind what's required to take care of the body mass.

Back
Top Bottom