New chicken parent - my girl has impacted crop.

Sparklingrose76

Chirping
Mar 24, 2021
I’m a first time chicken owner. My hens are 5 months old. Yesterday I notice Henrietta had a larger than normal crop. Today it was really big and hard. She is still acting normal, ruling the roost and making sure she gets her full portion of all the food before anyone else. So no changes (yet) in behavior or appetite. I will recheck her first thing in the morning.

I have read that the crop needs to be massaged and to give water and oil, like chilled coconut oil.

My questions is, should I not let her eat for a day or two while she is getting tested with liquid and periodic massage?

Adding food to an impacted crop will end up making it worse, and they won't recieve any nutrients/protein until the crop drains. She will be fine without food for a day or two, but make sure to give her plenty of water. Oily bread is an easy way to treat an impacted crop :)

Adding food to an impacted crop will end up making it worse, and they won't recieve any nutrients/protein until the crop drains. She will be fine without food for a day or two, but make sure to give her plenty of water. Oily bread is an easy way to treat an impacted crop :)
Thank you! I checked her crop first thing this morning and it was definitely still large and firm. She has been drinking water and she ate coconut oil ( she would have eaten an entire jar if I let her). She is currently spending the day resting in our bathroom so she has no access to food. I have massaged her crop several times so far, still very full but seems to be getting softer. I also put a little apple cider vinegar in her water.

Attachments

• 58CC2CAD-43F4-44A4-B0C0-20E86EA7C986.jpeg
    58CC2CAD-43F4-44A4-B0C0-20E86EA7C986.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 887F3F85-0C40-4718-A3B9-C687CCCB79AA.jpeg
    887F3F85-0C40-4718-A3B9-C687CCCB79AA.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom