New Chickens Being Bullied. Bad?

JuChicks

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
I just got 3 6 month-old chickens and added them to my almost year-old flock of 4. They are all the same breed (Red Sex Link). It's only been a few hours but they've been fighting. All of the old chickens chase around and peck the new ones. I try to scatter feed around the run so that they still have access to food. I don't think they will allow them on the roosts at night (I have two 4 foot perches in the hen house). Should I separate them or just let them have at it until they establish the Pecking Order? Is it all right if they don't sleep on the roosts for a few nights? Thanks for any help!

What is your run like? How much space? Any debris/stuff for the new birds to hide behind like pallets or shrubs? Integration and bullying usually comes down to resource control. Resources being food water and space. If the new birds have stuff to hide behind and a separate feeder and waterer out of sight of the other ones, they will likely figure out integration on their own. If they are competing for the same feeder/water in a small space integration can get ugly.
If you don't have enough space or extra feeders/waterers etc, you can put the new birds in a large dog crate or something in the coop with the others so they can see and not touch each other. Leave them like that for a week or so then let them together.

What is your run like? How much space? Any debris/stuff for the new birds to hide behind like pallets or shrubs? Integration and bullying usually comes down to resource control. Resources being food water and space. If the new birds have stuff to hide behind and a separate feeder and waterer out of sight of the other ones, they will likely figure out integration on their own. If they are competing for the same feeder/water in a small space integration can get ugly.
If you don't have enough space or extra feeders/waterers etc, you can put the new birds in a large dog crate or something in the coop with the others so they can see and not touch each other. Leave them like that for a week or so then let them together.
The coop is about 8x8 ft and the run is around 25x15 feet. I have a few obstacles but no separate feeders. I'll try to put water and feed in some spare feeders and waterers for the time being. Thank you for the help! I'll keep posting with updates.

Did you not introduce them slowly over time? You pen the new hen separately so they can see her but not get at her.
They're establishing the pecking order, it could get worse before it gets better.
I didn't introduce them over time, unfortunately. I'm an amateur chicken owner and don't have the equipment to create another temporary pen. Plus, I usually just add my new chickens without the see but no touch method. I'll put more places to hide and more feeders and waterers so that they don't fight over one and see how things are going from there.

Here's a little update after a few days. Each night, I have to go outside and place them on the perch inside. They all sleep on a little perch I have in their run, which isn't great because the run isn't covered so they are vulnerable. They haven't laid yet. They still get bullied a bit but I see them hanging out with the other hens once in a while. They don't look depressed, they still look perky and stuff, so I suppose that's good.

Back
Top Bottom