New chickens don't know how to be...chickens?

ChickenMommy83

Songster
5 Years
Aug 31, 2017
So I just got two pullets (approx 5 months old) to add to my current flock of 8. I have them in a chicken tractor separated from my other girls for now. My problem though, they don't seem to know what they're supposed to do? They've always been kept in pens with tons of other birds as far as I know. Like they don't know to roost, or forage, or get in the coop part of the tractor (we'll work on that over the next few days). I'm not sure they even figured out the feeder/waterer. They just huddled into a ball together on the ground to go to sleep tonight. I went out and moved them into the coop part, apparently it's supposed to be in the 40's tonight which is a big drop here and I was afraid they'd be cold. They do seem healthy otherwise. I guess I'm wondering will they learn these behaviors? Will they figure out the roost bar? I'm sure they could pick it up from my other girls in time but they won't be put together for awhile. Do I need to go scratch around in the dirt and perch on a stick to show them how it's done?!

IMG_4509.JPG

I think they will get used to their new home :D. You might have to put them in for the first few nights. They are very pretty!
Thank you! I love their coloring.:love I'm hoping it's just "new home" shock and they snap out of it tomorrow. Anytime I've added other flock members they've caught right on with roosting and foraging. I feel so silly worrying about them so :rolleyes:

Those are cool looking birds, what is their breed/cross?
Looks like Crested Cream Legbar on the top of head,
and Blue Copper Marans on the rest.

Sounds like new home shock. They were with many birds and now it's just the two of them in a completely new environment.

I think you're on the right track to spend time showing them the ropes but given some time, they will start to feel safe and adapt to such a big change. My experience so far has taught me chickens do not like change but also that chickens can't help but be chickens so I'm sure they will figure it out.

They really are very pretty and congrats on your new additions!

I also had 2 pullets given to me that came from the same background, The first night I had to put them into the coop but they quickly figured it out. They would eat out of the feeders but would not scratch. They would not even eat meal worms. wouldn't fly either.
It didn't take long for them to figure it out. Once my chicks got older I put them in with the pullets and they soon figured it all out.
Don't worry chickens are smart!

Sounds like new home shock. They were with many birds and now it's just the two of them in a completely new environment.

I think you're on the right track to spend time showing them the ropes but given some time, they will start to feel safe and adapt to such a big change. My experience so far has taught me chickens do not like change but also that chickens can't help but be chickens so I'm sure they will figure it out.

They really are very pretty and congrats on your new additions!
Thank you! They already seem more active and curious about things today so things are looking good!

I also had 2 pullets given to me that came from the same background, The first night I had to put them into the coop but they quickly figured it out. They would eat out of the feeders but would not scratch. They would not even eat meal worms. wouldn't fly either.
It didn't take long for them to figure it out. Once my chicks got older I put them in with the pullets and they soon figured it all out.
Don't worry chickens are smart!
This sounds like mine. I'm glad to know yours got the hang of it pretty quickly! I'm sure once they get integrated with the others they'll catch on pretty quick!

Back
Top Bottom