New chicks- hoping for all pullets!

KitKatLady

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2023
Hello everyone! I am a first time chicken owner and recently picked up my first 3 about a week ago. I got a Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, and Red-laced wyandotte (however i've only seen it written Blue-laced, so i'm wondering if that was some sort of typo?) Anyways. They were estimated to be about 4-5 weeks when I picked them up on 6/30. Here are a couple videos of them running around the coop when it was warm enough outside. Hopefully I have all pullets! What do you all think? Videos from 7/2 and 7/6- so around 5-6 weeks? Although they seem much smaller than all other photos of chicks at this age.
IMG_8838.jpg
IMG_8840.jpg
IMG_8837.PNG
IMG_8842.jpg
IMG_8848.jpg

So far so good. I'd watch the barred rock though.
That is the one i've been second guessing.... that first photo makes the comb look a bit pinker for sure where other photos I have, it seems all yellow. Bad quality picture right now- sorry! are there any other specific qualities this one is exhibiting that i should look out for?

Attachments

• IMG_8830.jpg
    IMG_8830.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 13
They look more like 4ish weeks old right now, a bit young to sex and know gender for sure.
But I think the Barred Rock possibly could be a male, other two look like females as of now.
Hard to know what color pattern your Wyandotte is till it's fully feathered.

They look more like 4ish weeks old right now, a bit young to sex and know gender for sure.
But I think the Barred Rock possibly could be a male, other two look like females as of now.
Hard to know what color pattern your Wyandotte is till it's fully feathered.
Hmm thanks for the heads up on age. I had a feeling they were younger than what the person stated by looking at everyone else’s photos of their 5-6 week olds. The barred rock is confusing to me. Don’t both the Roos and hens end up having red combs and wattles? What should I look out for as first emerging traits? Knowing they’re probably closer to 4 weeks, I’ll have to wait a while anyways to see the traits pop up

The barred rock is confusing to me. Don’t both the Roos and hens end up having red combs and wattles?
Yes, they do. But the boys comb and wattles develop faster.
What should I look out for as first emerging traits?
Comb development and barring.
Before he/she is even 8 weeks, if it's a boy, he'll probably have some very red wattles and a comb. If it's a pullet she probably won't be red until much closer to laying age.
For the barring the boys tend to have lighter barring than the girls.

Yes, they do. But the boys comb and wattles develop faster.

Comb development and barring.
Before he/she is even 8 weeks, if it's a boy, he'll probably have some very red wattles and a comb. If it's a pullet she probably won't be red until much closer to laying age.
For the barring the boys tend to have lighter barring than the girls.
Thank you!! Maybe I’ll post a photo in 2-4 weeks assuming they’re closer to 4 weeks

Back
Top Bottom