New chicks keep passing away for no apparent reason?! Help!

Just want to chime in to make it clear that medicated feed will NOT always prevent coccidiosis nor will it ever cure it.
You need Corid.
I understand that now, but thank you. I also got them pro-biotics and electrolytes. I asked the chick person at Tractor Supply and told him my situation. He agreed that it sounded like coccidiosis, and showed me the stuff that he said would save them from an outbreak. It's not Corid, but he said that it would help cure the ill ones. Should I go with his word and keep using the pro-biotics, or take them off and get Corid?

If they already have an overabundance of cocci they'll need treatment.
The medicated feed only helps them build immunity.
I got the medicated food, on top of pro-biotics. The pro-biotics are a powder, that I mix into their water. The worker, that was specifically there for the chicks, told me that these pro-biotics would save the ill ones. Should I go back and get Corid instead?

Sorry about the third chick, but glad to hear the others are doing well. However, I highly recommend treating them with corid regardless. There is no harm in doing so, and if they have coccidiocis in their gut or brooder, the medicated feed is not enough to treat an outbreak and they can turn very quickly!
I got them pro-biotics, as well as the medicated food. I was told by the chick employee that the pro-biotics would stop the outbreak and get the chicks healthy again. I really stressed on the Corid, but he kept assuring me that the pro-biotics would do the job. What do you think? Im afraid I may have made the wrong decision now.

If they actually have coccidiosis, I doubt the probiotic will work.

Corid blocks thiamine, which is what the coccidian protozoa need to live.

Corid should not be given with any other med or supplement (the medicated feed is ok I think- @KikisGirls would know) it should be in the only water they have to drink and should be mixed fresh every day.

It won't hurt to give them it with the medicated feed.
If they do have Coccidiosis, even if you aren't sure, I would still start them on Corid asap.

Last edited:
I got them pro-biotics, as well as the medicated food. I was told by the chick employee that the pro-biotics would stop the outbreak and get the chicks healthy again. I really stressed on the Corid, but he kept assuring me that the pro-biotics would do the job. What do you think? Im afraid I may have made the wrong decision now.
No disrespect to the store employee, but I have yet to see any evidence probiotics will cure coccidiocis, only that a healthy gut may help prevent an infection in the first place. I would definitely treat with corid, then start the probiotics following treatment to replenish healthy gut flora.

I understand that now, but thank you. I also got them pro-biotics and electrolytes. I asked the chick person at Tractor Supply and told him my situation. He agreed that it sounded like coccidiosis, and showed me the stuff that he said would save them from an outbreak. It's not Corid, but he said that it would help cure the ill ones. Should I go with his word and keep using the pro-biotics, or take them off and get Corid?
Just out of curiously, what did he give you? If it’s amprolium, that’s the active ingredient in a number of coccidiostats and would be great. Corid is just one brand of amprolium.

This happened to me this week - I lost 4/5 chicks. What helped the last chick was constantly force feeding them every 20 mins or so yogurt via a toothpick, and using a dropper to make them drink water with apple cider vinegar, nutri-drench, garlic, and lots of other things like green tea leaf etc..... but what really saved the day was when I bought and spiked the water with the right dosage of corid. I'm assuming your babes have the onset of cocci or maybe there were mites? Wishing you luck!!! <3

The dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per 8 cups (64 oz) of water, and then you can give them water from that batch. Make all your other chickens drink the corid water too!

Back
Top Bottom