New chicks

CRad

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 19, 2014
I have my first ever chick
1f604.png
And 3 cracked ones. Do I need to leave it in there until all the others have hatched? What about water? Because I thought I couldn't take the incubator lid off till they were all out
1f423.png

It's best if you don't open the incubator until they have all finished hatching. If the humidity drops too far, chicks can become trapped in their membranes, so wait if you can.

We have 4 new hatchings this morning. Still 20 or so to go with 12 clears so its pretty crowded in the bator. When should consider taking out the little chicks There is no sign of any others piping yet and they are also 1 day early

Thank you PrairieChicken I just saw an other one starting to pip so I'm going to wait to see what happens with that chick. Meanwhile I'll get the brooder going and move them after they have fully dried out and gotten used to their new found legs under them

I take my chicks out of the brooder as soon as they finish hatching unless someone is actively zipping at the time, but that's because I have a webcam going in there, and little chicks bumbling around can mess up the cam. I also keep the humidity really high during hatch so that the brief moments I have the incubator open don't dry things out, but really, you can leave chicks in an incubator for up to three days with no problems. They're designed to wait for their peers to finish hatching.

Back
Top Bottom