New Coop Build On Ground or Raised???

tsmith1499

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 9, 2011
Mount Airy, MD.
I am getting ready to build a coop for my wifes new chicken. It is going to be 8x6 or 8x8 haven't decided yet. It will be tall enough to walk in. What are the advantages/disadvantages to being on ground or raised a foot off te ground. I live in Maryland so it doesn't normally get really cold for long spells.
Thanks in advance. Tom & Beth Smith

Tom, Just a thought. Being in Maryland ya might wanna go up alittle. I've have been to classes at National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg and they have red and white antennas on the fire hydrants so they can be located when it snows. I would go up some so your door doesn't get snowed shut. Plus by going up, you could insulate between the floor joists if ya wanted. I would also consider a wide overhang, especially over door for same reason(snow). Look at ideas in coop section on the site and plan your coop based on other northern ideas. Just a suggestion. Good luck
Erik

Raise it up. There are various other reasons for raising the coop, but the biggest one for me, was to NOT give a covered and secure place for rats, mice or other vermin to set up house. Raise it up and don't worry about any 'Surprises' under the coop.
Jack

IMHO chickens like a place to run under, from the sun or hawks or intrusive people. I build my coops with about 14-16 inches of clearance to the floor. I use the plastic lattice to close 3 sides. A piece of pvc goes through the holes to shoo birds when needed, and sweep them out. My tall coop is about 6 foot tall inside, with a step up to get inside, so there is no stooping. It has barnsiding for a roof, and stays well dry even with deep bedding. The inside floor is covered with a vinyl flooring scrap, (free form the trash) so water and poo are not soaking into the wood. With an inch or more of pine shavings, the birds skitter and scratch around, and basically mix up the poo and litter very well. A rake from the door way at low knee high, is quick cleaning into a small tarp, and funneled right into a 30 gal trash can. This mix is then spread on various parts of the garden.

So, the floor framing is extended by 2x4 posts in the corners, with angle bracing to a runner board of treated deck 5/4 x 6. My floor is 4x6, the runner board is rounded at the ends, to form skis, so the whole structure can be moved to a new area, and the fencing moved to encompass new grass.

Nest boxes are built in at floor level on one side (6) and about a foot above on the other side, added later as we got more birds. There is no roost in mine, but planning on a small 'A' roost in the middle.

Jacke, good point. I was just trying to give Tom my thought on the number one reason to raise it. Pests, vermin, etc can be dealt with in other ways. Another whole subject but thanks for bring that up.....definitely something to consider when ya go off the ground.
Erik

Quote:
That's what I'm doing, giving my #1 reason to raise it. Sure, You can break out the poison, or .22 rifle if you want. But get it off the ground when you build it and drop the odds of developing a problem from the start.
Jack

Wow Jack! That's heck of a coop!! Very nice. Thanks for all the replies, keep em coming as I am going to try and start on this puppy this weekend, depending on the weather. Everyone has good and valid points. High is a good idea since it is going to be beside my garage and it slopes to the sides. I am planning on doing one like Jack's but without the front section. Tall in front shorter in back.

We (the wife and I) looked through a TON of pics n the coop section and that is what she decided she likes. I want it bigger than she does though for practical reasons. She wants 8x6, I am going to build it 8x8. Haven't decided on height yet. Although I think 8' in the front would be good, because then I can put windows in it like Jacks!! Thank You All!!!

Tom

I'd go bigger thank you ever think you will need. Seriously. This chicken thing is contagious and chronic. I built an 8x8 a year ago - now I am adding a second coop. If I had just gone 10x12 in the first place....
smile.png

Tom, When ya get a chance check out my page for another version of a raised, walk in coop. Lot's of windows, head room, roost space , Etc....like you, I did my homework before building. Looked at Jacks as well when I did my inital search. So many good ideas on this site to learn from. also, consider going as big as you can....you'll get hooked like the rest of us and want more. I'm already planning my second coop as we write.
Erik

I have mine on lightpole skids so it can be relocated with the tractor. Its 8x10 and has about a foot or more of ground clearance. I can actually clean under it with a long rake from each side. And our dog can do varmint control this way.

Back
Top Bottom