DFamilyChicks

Chirping
9 Years
May 11, 2011
Bellingham, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,

In 2011, I built our first coop from an old tree fort. It has worked great...but unfortunately it is right in the way of the new driveway. So, I'm building Coop 2.0. I'm taking what I learned from the first coop and building something drier, better ventilated, and easier to maintain and clean.

Take a look and let me know what you think so far: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/d-family-chicks

I have one question. I'm using a shed roof design with a 12 degree slope. I'm planning to use 2x4 for roof joists. I will place them 24" on center. The span from front to back wall is just 54". Will this size joist, handle this kind of span? I live in the Pacific NW and we get snow, but not usually very much. Of course the snow we do get is wet and heavy!!

I'm not an engineer so I'm not sure how to determine load bearing for roofs. Any builders out there that can give me some advice??

Thanks!!

Hi, I am new to this site, new to the southcoast of Oregon and new to having chickens. When we moved here, several chickens were left by the previous owners and were living in horrific conditions. We moved them to the old sheep shed and braced it but having lived through the first of the rains I realize we need to rebuild. I look forward to following your progress!
Denise

Back
Top Bottom