New duck mama

Meanwhile in the house, the ducklings Babs, Lucky, and Turbo (also know as the BLT’S) dot comfortingly in a big giant pool. I put school project boards all around because they can jump out now! Their watered is a dollar store shoe tote with a hole cut out. What cool is the lid locks in place, and they can’t spill it cause it’s too heavy. Under the waterer is a cookie cooling rack zip tied to s cooking sheet. I put a puppy pee pad on the cookie sheet to get capture the water. View attachment 1297706 View attachment 1297707 View attachment 1297708 I put hard wire cloth for the opening because they like to see me coming out to them. They freak out easily.
Very nice. Can you show the tote up close? Also, in the second pic off to the left looks like another water set up? What are the blue dishes for?

95032EC6-3CE6-480B-A6C7-279173A74904.png
Very nice. Can you show the tote up close? Also, in the second pic off to the left looks like another water set up? What are the blue dishes for?
Thank you! I getting ready for bed so in the morning when I clean it out I will take a pic on post it.

So tonight was the 1st time on that linoleum floor. They keep knocking the water bowls over. I picked up water 3 times before I got their small cookie cooling rack zipped tied to plastic cake pan cover back out. Those blue dishes came from TSC 3 for 3.99 they have hooks on the back of them. Out shear of luck when I filled the little blue ones up and set it down on the floor.....I thought we'll look at that, these blue containers are almost flush with the small rack! BAM...hooked them in and no more spills!!

Meanwhile in the house, the ducklings Babs, Lucky, and Turbo (also know as the BLT’S) dot comfortingly in a big giant pool. I put school project boards all around because they can jump out now! Their watered is a dollar store shoe tote with a hole cut out. What cool is the lid locks in place, and they can’t spill it cause it’s too heavy. Under the waterer is a cookie cooling rack zip tied to s cooking sheet. I put a puppy pee pad on the cookie sheet to get capture the water. View attachment 1297706 View attachment 1297707 View attachment 1297708 I put hard wire cloth for the opening because they like to see me coming out to them. They freak out easily.
THat is a fab idea!! So wish I’d though of that. So creative :D x

Funny. I have looked at so much, I forgot I looked at this thread! @Miss Lydia and @onaharley. This is what I am planning to do this weekend!
It's sometimes very difficult to keep the different threads straight in my head! Since i have gone with the bigger set up, it have gone VERY well and i don't think i will need to change or modify anymore....well, until they get the boot to the outside pen!

Thanks Miss Lydia....I didn’t see this post.

It’s for my garage setup. The garage is completely drywall and heated. Here in Michigan, we are still getting cold weather at night. So they will been inside for at least another weeks or until the weather brakes. It’s just a shipping crate that was taken apart. Nothing fancy.
The notifications are really sporadic around here. Anyway, I am hoping mine do well in the brooder that I make this weekend. Then, I will give them outside adventures.
Their momma already had them outside. I guess I am a little more precautious. ;)

Welcome to BYC and Congrats on your new ducklings.
They grow fast so having a large brooder is the best for them with water and feed sitting on top of something that will catch the water but not hurt their feet.
Here is a good link to info. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/ you need to get temp in brooder by putting a thermometer in their brooder How are they acting are they laying around acting like they are warm enough or all cuddled in the corner

First week duckling need to be kept at around 85* with room in brooder to get away from heat if they want. Dropping temps 5* each week there after. Once they are at house temp they are ready to go outside for good If temps are warm and they are feathered in good. On nice warm days take them outside for fresh air and running around it will help them to acclimate easier.
This link will give you idea on a home made waterer for ducklings too. I used a broiler pan to sit my waterers on to help catch the spilled water.
Does your feed say chick starter? that is what you want to start them on for first 3 weeks to keep from having to by different feeds go with an all flock feed they can get it from hatch till end of life and then you just sit out oyster shell once they begin to lay eggs.

Keep in mind when you build their coop that shade is going to be very important in summer and bushes of some kind for them to lay under it will help make them feel more secure and safe from Ariel preds too.

Back
Top Bottom