New duck mama

Pics

squidsagirl420

Chirping
Mar 15, 2018
Hello, I am a new duck mama lol.
I have one pekin and one hybrid im not honestly sure what it is. I also dont know their ages or sexes. Which is why I am here :) is there any way to tell?

My husband got them a high protein food and I feel like that was not a good idea after a little reading here. especially the size of the bag... lol its is Dumor 24% protein... We dont plan to eat these ducks at all so I dont even know why there is protein that high for chicks or ducks, but I dont know much about this. I just want them to be healthy!

Right now I have them in a clear plastic Tupperware thing, with pine shavings like they had at tractor supply, with a heating pad underneath. is that adequate? what temp is best ? its no in the box its under it... they sneeze and will have water coming out of their nostrils... I worry they aren't warm enough or aren't getting good air flow? I dont want respiratory issues!

I also have their water and food in it.. and its a small space which they soak quickly lol. the water is in a chick waterer and I read thats not good enough for them either. I saw the diy one, and will look into making one. I let them play in a shallow warm bath daily.. is that ok? they seem to love it, but If I shouldn't, let me know! lol.

I plan to build them a house out side soon, I just got 6 pallets! when is it ok for them to be outside? I am in Texas, so it will be pretty warm soon. and honestly brutally hot in the summer.. is that going to be ok? sorry for so many questions!

They dont fuss often and when they do, its seemingly just being thirsty (they splashed their entire water contents into the floor), or cold lol. the Pekin is very verbal and lets me know! the other is shy and I can tell the pekin is protective of it. They are absolutely precious and I want them to have long happy lives! Any advice or where to read would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Meanwhile in the house, the ducklings Babs, Lucky, and Turbo (also know as the BLT’S) dot comfortingly in a big giant pool. I put school project boards all around because they can jump out now! Their watered is a dollar store shoe tote with a hole cut out. What cool is the lid locks in place, and they can’t spill it cause it’s too heavy. Under the waterer is a cookie cooling rack zip tied to s cooking sheet. I put a puppy pee pad on the cookie sheet to get capture the water.
4A686AF3-B990-4504-A998-E3B27BEC62F1.jpeg
BD8C00CC-D1E6-4D0C-9A14-A58C2A3C2586.jpeg
07D3C6E9-3070-405A-BBBA-EA3444337003.jpeg
I put hard wire cloth for the opening because they like to see me coming out to them. They freak out easily.

Hello, I am a new duck mama lol.
I have one pekin and one hybrid im not honestly sure what it is. I also dont know their ages or sexes. Which is why I am here :) is there any way to tell?

My husband got them a high protein food and I feel like that was not a good idea after a little reading here. especially the size of the bag... lol its is Dumor 24% protein... We dont plan to eat these ducks at all so I dont even know why there is protein that high for chicks or ducks, but I dont know much about this. I just want them to be healthy!

Right now I have them in a clear plastic Tupperware thing, with pine shavings like they had at tractor supply, with a heating pad underneath. is that adequate? what temp is best ? its no in the box its under it... they sneeze and will have water coming out of their nostrils... I worry they aren't warm enough or aren't getting good air flow? I dont want respiratory issues!

I also have their water and food in it.. and its a small space which they soak quickly lol. the water is in a chick waterer and I read thats not good enough for them either. I saw the diy one, and will look into making one. I let them play in a shallow warm bath daily.. is that ok? they seem to love it, but If I shouldn't, let me know! lol.

I plan to build them a house out side soon, I just got 6 pallets! when is it ok for them to be outside? I am in Texas, so it will be pretty warm soon. and honestly brutally hot in the summer.. is that going to be ok? sorry for so many questions!

They dont fuss often and when they do, its seemingly just being thirsty (they splashed their entire water contents into the floor), or cold lol. the Pekin is very verbal and lets me know! the other is shy and I can tell the pekin is protective of it. They are absolutely precious and I want them to have long happy lives! Any advice or where to read would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Hi squidsagirl420-
I don't work with domestics but have been a wildlife rehabber specializing in migratory ducks for about two years. Yes, you do want to give the ducklings a high protein diet but you don't want to keep them on this much protein too long as they can develop something called Angel Wing. It probably is not as serious a problem for the non-flyers, so I would ask others when to switch them to maintenance. As far as water, they have to have it with their food and I know what you mean about being sloppy- they really know how to get their water dirty in a hurry. I use small bowls with a wide bottom or even pie pans- anything that they cannot tip over. They are not water-proof yet so make sure that the water in their bowl (or bath) is too deep. You did not say what part of Texas you are in, but if you are anywhere within 150 miles of Tomball, I have the name of a guy who built me a wonderful coop and run. I would be glad to send you his contact information if you would like it. I have to say, ducks are just very special creatures and you will have so much fun with them. You have young ones so they will imprint with you very quickly.

Attachments

• whistler.jpg
    whistler.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 3
Hi and Welcome to the BYC!! You're gonna love having ducks.
2 ducks are great to start out with, this will slowly lead you into more.....you think i am joking but i am not, they are very additive. I when i get home tonight i will send some pictures of my outside set up and my indoor set up for my ducklings. This whole "work" thing to make a living is really getting in the way of my duck time:lau

In the meantime post some pictures of your ducklings (everyone loves pictures of ducklings on here.....its very euphoric):lol:

Back
Top Bottom