New duck owner here need advice on feed

Bill kapri

Hatching
Sep 17, 2023
I’m new to owning ducks, I have two mallards,they green range 10 hours out of the day, I give them 4-6 ounces of feed a day, and some treats,is this enough or too much ? Ty for any help 🫶🏻

6 ounces each, sounds about right.
they should have enough feed that they can all eat their fill in 15 minutes

How much treats? I believe that it is recommended that 10% or less of their daily intake should be treats. I prefer to do treats every other day or less often.

Especially as you are free ranging, don't forget that they are finding things while out and about foraging. Lots of animals are good at listening to their bodies and eating what they need, but I also think most of mine mught gorge themselves sick on mealworms and BSFL if I let them, so moderation is key!

Otherwise, depends on what treats, and what kind of feed... as well as the age and sex of your ducks. Layer feed for example isn't suitable for drakes due to being high in calcium. If you are in the US, I believe most people use an All Flock or Flock Raiser feed for their ducks.

If you're in the UK, I have had good success with Fancy Feed brand, their Fenland Waterfowl and their Growers Pellets, and was informed by another member here that it looks to be a good feed option when I was just starting out.

For treats, I use whole wheat, the odd mealworm/BSFL (very high fat though!), and small quantities of veg. Mostly though, I keep it to their feed, and let them forage what they want. But I also do some training with them, and find whole wheat is a good offering that shouldn't mess with their dietary needs much. But remember that anything fed alongside a complete feed is ultimately diluting the correct levels of nutrients that are provided in their feed.

Most animals do tend to be good at self regulating their own intake, which from my experience and research includes ducks. So overfeeding a complete diet shouldn't be a major concern, apart from it getting wasted, damp or soiled. Wet and/or soiled feed should be dispoved of immediately. I've found you'll learn how much your ducks need, with some time spent watching them.

However, I am still fairly green myself, having kept ducks for only 2 years. All of this is just based on my limited experience, as well as lots of research, but I am far from an expert.

Back
Top Bottom