New duck parent..what breed could mine be?

nickolemarie7

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2016
I am a new duck mommy, just picked up 3 little ducklings this week. Currently they're still in my bathroom as I'm getting the pen and coop finished. Any idea what kind these could be? When they're in the sun theyre a dark green,not sure if that matters. Also, Im supposed to be picking up a hen house this weekend and was wondering if it would be big enough to house them at night before I make the drive to get it, it's about 4 ft by 3ft. I'm planning on them only being in it from dusk till dawn and then having them in a secured play yard after that(until winter atleast and then maybe adding onto it). I live on the river and don't trust the Hawks around here to not scoop them up if they're free roaming during the day unfortunately.
[/IMG]

Welcome! Those are some cute ducklings. I dont know what breed unfortunately. The house you mentioned should be big enough for them, but it doesnt look like it has much ventilation, which is really important for ducks. Maybe you could add some later?

I am a new duck mommy, just picked up 3 little ducklings this week. Currently they're still in my bathroom as I'm getting the pen and coop finished. Any idea what kind these could be? When they're in the sun theyre a dark green,not sure if that matters. Also, Im supposed to be picking up a hen house this weekend and was wondering if it would be big enough to house them at night before I make the drive to get it, it's about 4 ft by 3ft. I'm planning on them only being in it from dusk till dawn and then having them in a secured play yard after that(until winter atleast and then maybe adding onto it). I live on the river and don't trust the Hawks around here to not scoop them up if they're free roaming during the day unfortunately.
[/URL]

They look like Khaki Cambells.

The house would be okay for your three ducks but if you plan on adding more you will need to expand. I agree with susan251 that ventilation looks to be lacking, so you'll need to add holes, windows, or vents. Or better yet all three.
big_smile.png

They also look like KC to me.

Last edited:
Welcome! Those are some cute ducklings. I dont know what breed unfortunately. The house you mentioned should be big enough for them, but it doesnt look like it has much ventilation, which is really important for ducks. Maybe you could add some later?

Yea I'm planning on cutting a window on every wall and possibly installing some sort of vent on the roof for the really hot nights and just covering them with hardware wire

The house would be okay for your three ducks but if you plan on adding more you will need to expand.

FYI, Plan on more. No one tells you, but they are addictive little things. :D

Haha oh yes! I've already planned on getting a few more once I get a good plan for building my own coop and run. Just didn't want to overwhelm myself all at once not having a duck before. I had a few as a kid but they were mean little stinkers to everyone but the adults

Back
Top Bottom