New duckling sleeps on it's back. Wry neck?

TheDan

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2015
Texas!
One of my ducklings that just hatched last night keeps flipping itself over on its back. I can stand up and wobble around, but eventually it'll push up with it's legs and fall backwards. It typically sleeps in this position. I've heard that it's not good for them to lay on their back so I've been flipping it over. It'll sleep on it's belly for a little bit, but then flips itself over again. You guys think this is an issue? I definitely know it's not "normal" as none of my other ducks do this
tongue.png

0.jpg

Last edited:
Poor guy...Wobbles was like that, too. That's why he's "Wobbles". It's usually a sign of weakness coming out of the shell. Wobbles had a difficult hatch, and his yolk wasn't fully absorbed, so I had to give him some vitamins, niacin and electrolytes to make sure he had enough energy and nutrition to help get him through. If I hadn't, I fear I may have even lost him.

This one hatched really well on its own and there was no left over yolk. Seems pretty active other than the sleeping on its back thing. I'll be sure to give them all some niacin and vitamins, tho...

This one hatched really well on its own and there was no left over yolk. Seems pretty active other than the sleeping on its back thing. I'll be sure to give them all some niacin and vitamins, tho...

He could just have weak legs, then. You say he's active? I was concerned when your first post mentioned that he tends to fall over backwards onto his back after only taking a few steps. Giving him niacin is strongly recommended.

One of my ducklings that just hatched last night keeps flipping itself over on its back. I can stand up and wobble around, but eventually it'll push up with it's legs and fall backwards. It typically sleeps in this position. I've heard that it's not good for them to lay on their back so I've been flipping it over. It'll sleep on it's belly for a little bit, but then flips itself over again. You guys think this is an issue? I definitely know it's not "normal" as none of my other ducks do this
tongue.png

0.jpg

I had one this year that did that for around a week. No harm came of it. He even seemed to like his belly scratched when we was doing it. It just eventually started sleeping like a normal duckling.

You could also take a large towel and make a donut place the duckling down in feet first so it's lil head is above the towel [don't want it to suffocate ] it could sleep like this at times till it gets it's legs under it. I dif recommend niacin or brewers yeast and Poultry vitamins. The donut is used for ducklings that can't right them selves.

I think my constant repositioning is helping; it's sleeping in normal positions now. I think it probably still needs some help. I mashed up a little Flock Raiser in water to make a "soup." The other one is drinking it really well, but the rolly poley one seems to be having some issues with it. It'll drink a little but then it shakes it's head a lot like it can't swallow well. I'm going to go get some nutridrench tomorrow morning.

It's gotten where it can walk over to the water and is drinking by itself so that is a good sign. It's definitely not as mobile as the others, tho. It holds its neck and head to one side all the time. I've seen it turn it's head the other way, but only does so occasionally. I've started gently pushing its head the opposite direction so that it is strait and holding it there as well as tuning its head while it sleeps. I might just be in my head, but I think this is helping. It's like it got a crick in its neck inside the egg and the muscles on that side need to be stretched out; like when you sleep wrong
tongue.png

It's gotten where it can walk over to the water and is drinking by itself so that is a good sign. It's definitely not as mobile as the others, tho. It holds its neck and head to one side all the time. I've seen it turn it's head the other way, but only does so occasionally. I've started gently pushing its head the opposite direction so that it is strait and holding it there as well as tuning its head while it sleeps. I might just be in my head, but I think this is helping. It's like it got a crick in its neck inside the egg and the muscles on that side need to be stretched out; like when you sleep wrong
tongue.png

Are you giving any poultry vitamins for support? i think I would to help it through this sounds a little like wry neck you can type it in up top and read about it. I am glad to hear your seeing improvement though. It's not a crested duckling is it? hard to tell when it was laying on it's back

I'm putting nutridrench in their water and it's drinking that. It doesn't look crested, but one of my ducks are. I don't think this one is from her egg, tho. I'll read up on wry neck; thanks for sugestion.

Back
Top Bottom