New Ducklings Sitting a lot

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Friends!
We got our 4 Runner ducklings on Wednesday and I've just been noticing that they run around or get up to eat/drink and then sit or lay down often. Is that common with ducklings or specifically runners? I think they are only a few days old. I have nutritional yeast in their flock raiser feed. I've put electrolytes and probiotics in their water. They have the mama heating pad/cave for warmth. I just want to make sure they are okay. I've looked it up and I didn't see too much info about it. They might just be lazy (eating or drinking while laying down) or maybe just tired from growing. I don't know. I've included a video of them in action. The two larger blue ones are the ones I see laying down the most. Thanks for any tips or reassurance.

Most baby animals have two speeds: high and off. They run around, wear themselves out, and pass out for a nap. Perfectly normal!
Thanks. I think they are okay. They seem to be healthy and happy. I just noticed that they are quick to sit or lay down more often than the first 2 days we had them. They didn't used to lay down to eat or drink, but now they do that often.

Thanks. I think they are okay. They seem to be healthy and happy. I just noticed that they are quick to sit or lay down more often than the first 2 days we had them. They didn't used to lay down to eat or drink, but now they do that often.
Totally normal. When I raised Pekins, those lazy bums lounged around most of the time. All of them lounge around, some more than others. As they get a bit older, they will have more energy. Right now they are using lots of energy to grow incrediblely fast.

Unless they stop eating or drinking, or start acting unusually uncoordinated for a duckling, they are completely fine.

They are adorable ducklings!

Thank you for your responses. I am just a paranoid new duck mama. They just take a few steps and lie down. Head over to the food and lie down. I notice it more at the end of the day so I think they are just more tired then or lazier after a long day. I'll keep an eye on it. They are eating and drinking well. Thanks again for your help.

If your using flock raiser and not a duck starter i would do some serious niacin supplementing. I hate brewers yeast because your supposed to use 1 T per cup of food. In other words 1:16 ratio. Even If you put that much in it sinks to the bottom and doesn't get eaten. A liquid vitamin is much easier to dose. Im not saying they are defficent but lots of sitting is a major sign of niacin deficency.

seconding the recommendation for a different niacin supplement. If you can get actual duckling starter that would be ideal (you can always hold onto the regular food for when they're bigger) but if not I'd go for the liquid. Isaac's stickied thread on yeast at the top of the duck forum is a good read on how unfortunately inefficient they can be.

The running around and then sitting is normal though. Ducks double in size in their first week, and again in their second. They're expending ENORMOUS amounts of energy JUST growing, let alone getting up and moving about.

You can try nutritional yeast, too. It has a higher amount of niacin. I've been using it with my 4 week old ducklings, and I haven't noticed any issues.

And, yes, 2 speeds. Totally agree.

If your using flock raiser and not a duck starter i would do some serious niacin supplementing. I hate brewers yeast because your supposed to use 1 T per cup of food. In other words 1:16 ratio. Even If you put that much in it sinks to the bottom and doesn't get eaten. A liquid vitamin is much easier to dose. Im not saying they are defficent but lots of sitting is a major sign of niacin deficency.
Okay. I'll see if I can get some liquid. I've been using nutritional yeast - the Now brand recommended by many people on here, not brewer's yeast.

Back
Top Bottom