New ducklings

Shorty22366

Songster
Jan 1, 2018
Hobgood, North Carolina
I have had chickens for about a year and my friend gave me these two precious ducklings. When can I tell their breed and sex? Any info about them would be greatly appreciated. I am super excited about them. Do they need heat like chicks? I put chicks out without heat at 2 weeks.
20180819_174121.jpg
20180819_180907.jpg

Last edited:
So cute!

Yes, ducklings need heat just like chicks. For ducklings 1 to 3 days old the brooder temperature should be from 90-92 °F. For days 4 to 7 the temperature should be around 85-90°F. After the first week drop the temperature by 5 degrees each week until the ducklings are fully feathered. Watch to make sure they aren't cold or too hot like chicks can get in the brooder.

The darker duckling looks like a rouen to me. Not sure about the yellowish colored one as there are many possibilities. You could try to vent sex them now or you could wait until they are feathered and could probably tell what sex they are based on their appearance when they are older.

So cute!

Yes, ducklings need heat just like chicks. For ducklings 1 to 3 days old the brooder temperature should be from 90-92 °F. For days 4 to 7 the temperature should be around 85-90°F. After the first week drop the temperature by 5 degrees each week until the ducklings are fully feathered. Watch to make sure they aren't cold or too hot like chicks can get in the brooder.

The darker duckling looks like a rouen to me. Not sure about the yellowish colored one as there are many possibilities. You could try to vent sex them now or you could wait until they are feathered and could probably tell what sex they are based on their appearance when they are older.
If you do wait until they are older to tell gender, you'll be able to tell via their voice. A hen will have a quack whilst a drake will have more of a raspy voice.

I will wait. I really don't want a drake but I will make arrangements if I have one. I already love them too much to think about getting rid of them. I am a sucker for baby birds and adult ones.

You will probably find that they won't need the heat for long. They will feather out faster too if you take them out on sunny days after the first week.
They can eat non medicated chick starter, but they will need niacin added to it or their water. You can get nutritional yeast or brewers yeast to add to their food or the soluble niacin pills to add to their water.
They will need grit if you give them anything other than their feed. (Just like chickens)
They are sssooo much messier than chickens and will grow faster than chickens.
They are very adorable :love

Back
Top Bottom